Product nameCalcium Assay kit (Fluorometric)
See all Calcium kits
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Cell Lysate
Range0.04 mM - 1.5 mM
Assay time0h 30m
Calcium Assay Kit (Fluorometric) ab112115 provides a simple method for detecting calcium in physiological solutions by using a red fluorescence probe. The fluorescence signal can be easily read by a fluorescence microplate reader at Ex/Em = 540/590 nm.
The kit can be performed in a convenient 96-well or 384-well microtiter-plate format and easily adapted to automation without a separation step. The calcium assay can be completed within 30 minutes.
The calcium assay kit can be used to detect as little as 0.03 mM calcium. The kit has a broad dynamic range (30 μM to 1 mM).
Calcium assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- incubate for 5-30 min whilst measuring the fluorescence intensity with a microplate reader
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 200 tests 300 mM Calcium Standard 1 x 0.5ml Assay Buffer 1 x 10ml Rhod Red Indicator 2 vials
RelevanceCalcium is essential for all living organisms, where Ca2+ sequestration and release into and out of the cytoplasm functions as a signal for many cellular processes. 99% of calcium is found in bones and teeth with the remaining 1% found in the blood and soft tissue. Serum calcium levels are tightly controlled (8.4-11.4 mg/dL) and any variation outside this range can have serious effects. Calcium plays a role in mediating the constriction and relaxation of blood vessels, nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, and hormone secretion. Calcium ion channels control the migration of calcium ions across cell membranes, permitting the activation and inhibition of a wide variety of enzymes. Causes of low calcium levels include chronic kidney failure, vitamin D deficiency, and low blood magnesium levels that can occur in severe alcoholism.
ab112115 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Chen Y et al. Baicalein inhibits fibronectin-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition by decreasing activation and upregulation of calpain-2. Cell Death Dis 10:341 (2019). PubMed: 31000696
- Dong D et al. Endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ release causes Rieske iron-sulfur protein-mediated mitochondrial ROS generation in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Biosci Rep 39:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31710081
- Tee JK et al. Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Enhance Leakiness and Drug Permeability in Primary Human Hepatic Sinusoidal Endothelial Cells. Int J Mol Sci 20:N/A (2018). PubMed: 30577655
- White MM et al. Neutrophil Membrane Cholesterol Content is a Key Factor in Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease. EBioMedicine 23:173-184 (2017). PubMed: 28835336
- Gaharwar AK et al. Elastomeric nanocomposite scaffolds made from poly (glycerol sebacate) chemically crosslinked with carbon nanotubes. Biomater Sci 3:45-68 (2015). PubMed: 26146547