Key features and details
- Assay type: Competitive
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 3 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 1 nM
Product namecAMP Assay Kit (Competitive ELISA, Fluorometric)
See all cAMP kits
Sample typeUrine, Plasma, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Assay time3h 00m
cAMP Assay Kit ab138880 uses a sensitive fluorometric competitive ELISA method to quantify cAMP (cyclic AMP) levels in samples from mammals and other species.
The cAMP assay protocol uses a 96-well plate supplied coated with an anti-cAMP antibody.
HRP-labeled cAMP, and free cAMP within a sample, are added to each well of the plate. The cAMP assay is based on the competition between the HRP-labeled cAMP and the free cAMP for the fixed number of cAMP antibody binding sites on the plate.
The more free cAMP is present, the less HRP-labeled cAMP is bound. After a washing step, the amount of bound HRP-labeled cAMP is detected using a fluorometric HRP substrate. The level of signal is compared to a standard curve for free cAMP, which is run at the same time as the samples.
Unlike other cAMP assay protocols, this kit does not require an acetylation step to achieve the maximum sensitivity.
This product was previously called cAMP Direct Immunoassay Detection Kit (Fluorometric).
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 10 x 96 tests 10X Wash Solution 1 x 10ml 1 x 100ml AbRed Indicator 1 vial 1 vial Anti-cAMP-coated 96-well plate 1 unit 1 x 10 units Assay Buffer 1 x 20ml 1 x 100ml cAMP Standard 1 x 33µg 1 x 33µg Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 10ml 1 x 100ml HRP-cAMP Conjugate 1 vial 1 vial Hydrogen Peroxide Solution 1 x 50µl 1 x 250µl Substrate Buffer 1 x 10ml 1 x 100ml
RelevanceAdenosine 3’,5’-cyclic monophosphate (cyclic AMP, cAMP) is an important “second messenger” involved in many physiological processes. It plays a key role as an intracellular second messenger for transduction events that follow a number of extracellular signals.
- Adenosine 3' 5' cyclic monophosphate
- Adenosine 3’ 5’ cyclic monophosphate
- Cyclic adenosine monophosphate
- Cyclic AMP
- 8-(4-Chlorophenylthio)adenosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (8-CPT-cAMP), Cell permeable cAMP analog. (ab120424)
- Adenosine 3prime,5prime-cyclic monophosphate (cAMP), Second messenger. PKA activator. (ab120493)
- 8-Br-cAMP (8-Bromo-cAMP), PKA activator (ab141448)
- RHC-80267, diacylglycerol lipase inhibitor (ab141758)
cAMP dose response was measured with ab138880 in a solid black 96-well plate with a fluorescence microplate reader. The kit can detect as low as 1 nM cAMP in a 100 µl reaction volume.
cAMP dose response in various amounts of HeLa cells after and without forskolin treatment (100 micromolar - ab120058)
cAMP dose response in various amounts of 3T3-L1 cells after and without forskolin treatment (100 micromolar - ab120058)
cAMP concentration (nM) measured in various biological fluids following assay protocol.
ab138880 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Bhattarai Y et al. Gut Microbiota-Produced Tryptamine Activates an Epithelial G-Protein-Coupled Receptor to Increase Colonic Secretion. Cell Host Microbe 23:775-785.e5 (2018). PubMed: 29902441
- Tian S et al. Genome-wide CRISPR screens for Shiga toxins and ricin reveal Golgi proteins critical for glycosylation. PLoS Biol 16:e2006951 (2018). PubMed: 30481169
- Tyurin-Kuzmin PA et al. Noradrenaline Sensitivity Is Severely Impaired in Immortalized Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Line. Int J Mol Sci 19:N/A (2018). PubMed: 30469522