Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Extracts
Product nameCaspase-12 Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time2h 00m
Abcam's Caspase-12 Assay Kit (Fluorometric) provides a simple and convenient means for assaying the activity of caspases that recognize the sequence ATAD. The assay is based on detection of cleavage of substrate ATAD-AFC (AFC: 7-amino-4-trifluoromethyl coumarin). ATAD-AFC emits blue light (λmax = 400 nm); upon cleavage of the substrate by caspase-12 or related caspases, free AFC emits a yellow-green fluorescence (λmax = 505 nm), which can be quantified using a fluorometer or a fluorescence microtiter plate reader.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K139 Caspase-12 Fluorometric Assay Kit. K139-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65664.
Activation of ICE-family proteases/caspases initiates apoptosis in mammalian cells.
Other caspase and apoptosis assays
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2X Reaction Buffer 4 x 2ml ATAD-AFC Substrate 1 x 500µl Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 100ml DTT 1 x 400µl
RelevanceCaspases are cysteine proteases that cleave C-terminal aspartic acid residues on their substrate molecules. Caspase 12 is most highly related to members of the ICE subfamily. However, human caspase 12 has no protease activity. It may reduce cytokine release in response to bacterial lipopolysaccharide during infections and reduces activation of NF-kappa-B in response to TNF.
- Caspase 12
- Inactive caspase 12
ab65664 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Pejman S et al. Ac-SDKP ameliorates the progression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis via inhibition of ER stress and oxidative stress in the hippocampus of C57BL/6 mice. Brain Res Bull 154:21-31 (2020). PubMed: 31589901
- Kamarehei M et al. Increased expression of endoplasmic reticulum stress-related caspase-12 and CHOP in the hippocampus of EAE mice. Brain Res Bull 147:174-182 (2019). PubMed: 30738137
- Xing J et al. Melatonin ameliorates endoplasmic reticulum stress in N2a neuroblastoma cell hypoxia-reoxygenation injury by activating the AMPK-Pak2 pathway. Cell Stress Chaperones 24:621-633 (2019). PubMed: 30976981
- Hou S et al. Mitofusin-2 regulates inflammation-mediated mouse neuroblastoma N2a cells dysfunction and endoplasmic reticulum stress via the Yap-Hippo pathway. J Physiol Sci 69:697-709 (2019). PubMed: 31134519
- Chen T et al. ROS-Mediated Mitochondrial Dysfunction and ER Stress Contribute to Compression-Induced Neuronal Injury. Neuroscience 416:268-280 (2019). PubMed: 31425734
- Asano M et al. Normothermic Microwave Irradiation Induces Death of HL-60 Cells through Heat-Independent Apoptosis. Sci Rep 7:11406 (2017). PubMed: 28900243
- Bulatovic I et al. Sublethal caspase activation promotes generation of cardiomyocytes from embryonic stem cells. PLoS One 10:e0120176 (2015). Functional Studies . PubMed: 25763592
- Mitra A et al. Cardioprotective role of P38 MAPK during myocardial infarction via parallel activation of a-crystallin B and Nrf2. J Cell Physiol 229:1272-82 (2014). Functional Studies . PubMed: 24464634