Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Platform: Microplate reader, Fluor. microscope, Flow cyt.
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameCaspase 9 (active) FITC Staining Kit
See all Caspase-9 kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time2h 00m
Abcam's Caspase 9 (active) FITC Staining Kit provides a convenient means for sensitive detection of activated caspase-9 in living cells. The assay utilizes the caspase-9 inhibitor LEHD-FMK conjugated to FITC (FITC-LEHD-FMK) as a fluorescent marker. FITC-LEHD-FMK is cell permeable, nontoxic, and irreversibly binds to activated caspase-9 in apoptotic cells.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K189 CaspGLOW™ Fluorescein Active Caspase-9 Staining Kit. K189-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65615.
Activation of caspases plays a central role in apoptosis.
Other caspase and apoptosis assays
PlatformMicroplate reader, Fluor. microscope, Flow cyt.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests FITC-LEHD-FMK 1 x 100µl Wash Buffer 2 x 100ml Z-VAD-FMK 1 x 10µl
RelevanceCaspases are cysteine proteases, expressed as inactive precursors, that mediate apoptosis by proteolysis of specific substrates. Caspases have the ability to cleave after aspartic acid residues. There are two classes of caspases involved in apoptosis; initiators (activation by receptor cluster) and effectors (activation by mitochondrial permeability transition). Proapoptotic signals autocatalytically activate initiator caspases, such as Caspase 8 and Caspase 9. Activated initiator caspases then process effector caspases, such as Caspase 3 and Caspase 7, which in turn cause cell collapse. Caspase 9 (also known as ICE like apoptotic protease 6 (ICE LAP6), apoptotic protease Mch6, and apoptotic protease activating factor 3 (Apaf3)) is a member of the peptidase family C14 that contains a CARD domain. It is active as a heterotetramer and has been reported to have two isoforms. ProCaspase 9 is approximately 47 kD. It is present in the cytosol and, upon activation, translocates to the mitochondria. Caspase 9 is involved in the caspase activation cascade responsible for apoptosis execution and cleaves/activates Caspase 3 and Caspase 6. It becomes activated when recruited to the Apaf1/cytochrome c complex.
- Caspase 9
ab65615 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Jin J et al. CD137 Signaling Regulates Acute Colitis via RALDH2-Expressing CD11b-CD103+ DCs. Cell Rep 30:4124-4136.e5 (2020). PubMed: 32209473
- Davargaon RS et al. Trolox prevents high glucose-induced apoptosis in rat myocardial H9c2 cells by regulating GLUT-4 and antioxidant defense mechanism. IUBMB Life N/A:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31359611
- Ju C et al. Neuroprotective effect of chondroitin sulfate on SH-SY5Y cells overexpressing wild-type or A53T mutant a-synuclein. Mol Med Rep 16:8721-8728 (2017). PubMed: 28990084
- Harmse L et al. Aberrant Apoptotic Response of Colorectal Cancer Cells to Novel Nucleoside Analogues. PLoS One 10:e0138607 (2015). PubMed: 26390405
- Busca A et al. PI3K/Akt regulates survival during differentiation of human macrophages by maintaining NF-?B-dependent expression of antiapoptotic Bcl-xL. J Leukoc Biol 96:1011-22 (2014). PubMed: 25225677