Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Extracts
Product nameCaspase 9 Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Caspase-9 kits
Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time2h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Caspase 9 Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab65608 provides a simple and convenient means for assaying the activity of caspases that recognize the sequence LEHD.
The caspase 9 assay is based on spectrophotometric detection of the chromophore p-nitroanilide (p-NA) after cleavage from the labeled substrate LEHD-p-NA. The p-NA light emission can be quantified using a spectrophotometer or a microtiter plate reader at 400- or 405 nm.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K119 Caspase-9 Colorimetric Assay Kit. K119-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65608.
Activation of ICE-family proteases/caspases initiates apoptosis in mammalian cells.
Other caspase and apoptosis assays
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2X Reaction Buffer 4 x 2ml Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 100ml Dilution Buffer 1 x 100ml DTT 1 x 400µl LEHD-pNA (4mM) 1 x 500µl
RelevanceCaspases are cysteine proteases, expressed as inactive precursors, that mediate apoptosis by proteolysis of specific substrates. Caspases have the ability to cleave after aspartic acid residues. There are two classes of caspases involved in apoptosis; initiators (activation by receptor cluster) and effectors (activation by mitochondrial permeability transition). Proapoptotic signals autocatalytically activate initiator caspases, such as Caspase 8 and Caspase 9. Activated initiator caspases then process effector caspases, such as Caspase 3 and Caspase 7, which in turn cause cell collapse. Caspase 9 (also known as ICE like apoptotic protease 6 (ICE LAP6), apoptotic protease Mch6, and apoptotic protease activating factor 3 (Apaf3)) is a member of the peptidase family C14 that contains a CARD domain. It is active as a heterotetramer and has been reported to have two isoforms. ProCaspase 9 is approximately 47 kD. It is present in the cytosol and, upon activation, translocates to the mitochondria. Caspase 9 is involved in the caspase activation cascade responsible for apoptosis execution and cleaves/activates Caspase 3 and Caspase 6. It becomes activated when recruited to the Apaf1/cytochrome c complex.
- Caspase 9
ab65608 has been referenced in 36 publications.
- Mohamed ME et al. Cardioprotective Effect of Linalool against Isoproterenol-Induced Myocardial Infarction. Life (Basel) 11:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33562483
- Alshahrani S et al. Renoprotective effects of cinnamon oil against APAP-Induced nephrotoxicity by ameliorating oxidative stress, apoptosis and inflammation in rats. Saudi Pharm J 29:194-200 (2021). PubMed: 33679180
- Hong X et al. Biological effects of NODAL on endometrial cancer cells and its underlying mechanisms. Exp Ther Med 21:402 (2021). PubMed: 33717261
- Noorbazargan H et al. Anti-cancer & anti-metastasis properties of bioorganic-capped silver nanoparticles fabricated from Juniperus chinensis extract against lung cancer cells. AMB Express 11:61 (2021). PubMed: 33900505
- Ma G et al. ELK1-mediated upregulation of lncRNA LBX2-AS1 facilitates cell proliferation and invasion via regulating miR-491-5p/S100A11 axis in colorectal cancer. Int J Mol Med 48:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34080639