Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Extracts
Product nameCaspase 9 Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Caspase-9 kits
Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time2h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Caspase 9 Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab65608 provides a simple and convenient means for assaying the activity of caspases that recognize the sequence LEHD.
The caspase 9 assay is based on spectrophotometric detection of the chromophore p-nitroanilide (p-NA) after cleavage from the labeled substrate LEHD-p-NA. The p-NA light emission can be quantified using a spectrophotometer or a microtiter plate reader at 400- or 405 nm.
Activation of ICE-family proteases/caspases initiates apoptosis in mammalian cells.
Other caspase and apoptosis assays
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2X Reaction Buffer 4 x 2ml Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 100ml Dilution Buffer 1 x 100ml DTT 1 x 400µl LEHD-pNA (4mM) 1 x 500µl
RelevanceCaspases are cysteine proteases, expressed as inactive precursors, that mediate apoptosis by proteolysis of specific substrates. Caspases have the ability to cleave after aspartic acid residues. There are two classes of caspases involved in apoptosis; initiators (activation by receptor cluster) and effectors (activation by mitochondrial permeability transition). Proapoptotic signals autocatalytically activate initiator caspases, such as Caspase 8 and Caspase 9. Activated initiator caspases then process effector caspases, such as Caspase 3 and Caspase 7, which in turn cause cell collapse. Caspase 9 (also known as ICE like apoptotic protease 6 (ICE LAP6), apoptotic protease Mch6, and apoptotic protease activating factor 3 (Apaf3)) is a member of the peptidase family C14 that contains a CARD domain. It is active as a heterotetramer and has been reported to have two isoforms. ProCaspase 9 is approximately 47 kD. It is present in the cytosol and, upon activation, translocates to the mitochondria. Caspase 9 is involved in the caspase activation cascade responsible for apoptosis execution and cleaves/activates Caspase 3 and Caspase 6. It becomes activated when recruited to the Apaf1/cytochrome c complex.
- Caspase 9
ab65608 has been referenced in 23 publications.
- Li C et al. An investigation on the cytotoxicity and caspase-mediated apoptotic effect of biologically synthesized gold nanoparticles using Cardiospermum halicacabum on AGS gastric carcinoma cells. Int J Nanomedicine 14:951-962 (2019). PubMed: 30787609
- Ittiudomrak T et al. a-Mangostin and Apigenin Induced Cell Cycle Arrest and Programmed Cell Death in SKOV-3 Ovarian Cancer Cells. Toxicol Res 35:167-179 (2019). PubMed: 31015899
- Joshi AU et al. Drp1/Fis1-mediated mitochondrial fragmentation leads to lysosomal dysfunction in cardiac models of Huntington's disease. J Mol Cell Cardiol 127:125-133 (2019). PubMed: 30550751
- Wang CH et al. Dieckol inhibits non-small-cell lung cancer cell proliferation and migration by regulating the PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 33:e22346 (2019). PubMed: 31291034
- Shahbazi B et al. Cytotoxic effects of Pseudocerastes persicus venom and its HPLC fractions on lung cancer cells. J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis 25:e20190009 (2019). PubMed: 31555336