Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Extracts
Product nameCaspase 9 Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
See all Caspase-9 kits
Sample typeTissue Extracts, Cell Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time2h 00m
Abcam's Caspase 9 Assay Kit (Fluorometric) provides a simple and convenient means for assaying the activity of caspases that recognize the sequence LEHD. The assay is based on detection of cleavage of substrate LEHD-AFC (AFC: 7-amino-4-trifluoromethyl coumarin). LEHD-AFC emits blue light (λmax = 400 nm); upon cleavage of the substrate by caspase-9 or related caspases, free AFC emits a yellow-green fluorescence (λmax = 505 nm), which can be quantified using a fluorometer or fluorecence microtiter plate reader.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Activation of ICE-family proteases/caspases initiates apoptosis in mammalian cells.
Other caspase and apoptosis assays
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2X Reaction Buffer 4 x 2ml Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 100ml DTT 1 x 400µl LEHD-AFC (1mM) 1 x 500µl
RelevanceCaspases are cysteine proteases, expressed as inactive precursors, that mediate apoptosis by proteolysis of specific substrates. Caspases have the ability to cleave after aspartic acid residues. There are two classes of caspases involved in apoptosis; initiators (activation by receptor cluster) and effectors (activation by mitochondrial permeability transition). Proapoptotic signals autocatalytically activate initiator caspases, such as Caspase 8 and Caspase 9. Activated initiator caspases then process effector caspases, such as Caspase 3 and Caspase 7, which in turn cause cell collapse. Caspase 9 (also known as ICE like apoptotic protease 6 (ICE LAP6), apoptotic protease Mch6, and apoptotic protease activating factor 3 (Apaf3)) is a member of the peptidase family C14 that contains a CARD domain. It is active as a heterotetramer and has been reported to have two isoforms. ProCaspase 9 is approximately 47 kD. It is present in the cytosol and, upon activation, translocates to the mitochondria. Caspase 9 is involved in the caspase activation cascade responsible for apoptosis execution and cleaves/activates Caspase 3 and Caspase 6. It becomes activated when recruited to the Apaf1/cytochrome c complex.
- Caspase 9
ab65607 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Zou ZZ et al. Synergistic induction of apoptosis by salinomycin and gefitinib through lysosomal and mitochondrial dependent pathway overcomes gefitinib resistance in colorectal cancer. Oncotarget 8:22414-22432 (2017). Functional Studies ; Human . PubMed: 26461472
- Buvall L et al. Orellanine specifically targets renal clear cell carcinoma. Oncotarget 8:91085-91098 (2017). Functional Studies . PubMed: 29207627
- Chen P et al. CQ synergistically sensitizes human colorectal cancer cells to SN-38/CPT-11 through lysosomal and mitochondrial apoptotic pathway via p53-ROS cross-talk. Free Radic Biol Med 104:280-297 (2017). PubMed: 28131902
- Yoon YS et al. PPAR? activation following apoptotic cell instillation promotes resolution of lung inflammation and fibrosis via regulation of efferocytosis and proresolving cytokines. Mucosal Immunol 8:1031-46 (2015). PubMed: 25586556
- Lee YJ et al. Apoptotic cell instillation after bleomycin attenuates lung injury through hepatocyte growth factor induction. Eur Respir J 40:424-35 (2012). PubMed: 22441736