Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Lysate, Urine
Product nameCatalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
See all Catalase kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Assay time0h 40m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Catalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab83464) is a highly sensitive, simple and direct assay for measuring catalase activity in a variety of biological samples such as cell and tissue lysates or biological fluids.
In the catalase activity assay protocol, the catalase present in the sample reacts with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to produce water and oxygen. The unconverted H2O2 reacts with probe to produce a product that can be measured colorimetrically at OD 570 nm or fluorometrically at Ex/Em = 535/587 nm. Therefore, the catalase activity present in the sample is reversely proportional to the signal obtained. The kit can detect as little as 1 µU of catalase activity.
Catalase activity assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add stop solution into sample control wells and incubate at 25ºC for 5 min
- add H2O2 solution into wells and incubate for 30 min at 25ºC
- add stop solution
- add developer mix and incubate for 10 min at 25ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Catalase Assay Buffer NM 1 x 25ml Catalase Positive Control Blue 1 x 2µl HRP (Lyophilised) Green 1 vial Hydrogen peroxide Yellow 1 x 25µl OxiRed Probe Red 1 x 200µl Stop Solution White 1 x 1ml
FunctionOccurs in almost all aerobically respiring organisms and serves to protect cells from the toxic effects of hydrogen peroxide. Promotes growth of cells including T-cells, B-cells, myeloid leukemia cells, melanoma cells, mastocytoma cells and normal and transformed fibroblast cells.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in CAT are the cause of acatalasia (ACATLAS) [MIM:115500]; also known as acatalasemia. This disease is characterized by absence of catalase activity in red cells and is often associated with ulcerating oral lesions.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the catalase family.
modificationsThe N-terminus is blocked.
- Information by UniProt
ab83464 has been referenced in 38 publications.
- Li J et al. CD5L-induced activation of autophagy is associated with hepatoprotection in ischemic reperfusion injury via the CD36/ATG7 axis. Exp Ther Med 19:2588-2596 (2020). PubMed: 32256738
- Bin Jardan YA et al. Sinapic Acid Ameliorates Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Apoptosis in Acute Doxorubicin-Induced Cardiotoxicity via the NF-?B-Mediated Pathway. Biomed Res Int 2020:3921796 (2020). PubMed: 32258120
- Manzoor R et al. Synergistic Neuroprotective Effect of Endogenously-Produced Hydroxytyrosol and Synaptic Vesicle Proteins on Pheochromocytoma Cell Line Against Salsolinol. Molecules 25:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32276517
- Zang R et al. JMJD1A Represses the Development of Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy by Regulating the Expression of Catalase. Biomed Res Int 2020:5081323 (2020). PubMed: 32461996
- de Lourdes Medina-Contreras JM et al. Topical capsaicin cream with moderate exercise protects against hepatic steatosis, dyslipidemia and increased blood pressure in hypoestrogenic obese rats. J Sci Food Agric 100:3212-3219 (2020). PubMed: 32105339