Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Lysate, Urine
Product nameCatalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
See all Catalase kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Assay time0h 40m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Catalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab83464) is a highly sensitive, simple and direct assay for measuring catalase activity in a variety of biological samples such as cell and tissue lysates or biological fluids.
In the catalase activity assay protocol, the catalase present in the sample reacts with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to produce water and oxygen. The unconverted H2O2 reacts with probe to produce a product that can be measured colorimetrically at OD 570 nm or fluorometrically at Ex/Em = 535/587 nm. Therefore, the catalase activity present in the sample is reversely proportional to the signal obtained. The kit can detect as little as 1 µU of catalase activity.
Catalase activity assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add stop solution into sample control wells and incubate at 25ºC for 5 min
- add H2O2 solution into wells and incubate for 30 min at 25ºC
- add stop solution
- add developer mix and incubate for 10 min at 25ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K773 Catalase Activity Colorimetric/Fluorometric Assay Kit. K773-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab83464.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Catalase Assay Buffer NM 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Catalase Positive Control Blue 1 x 2µl 20 x 2µl HRP (Lyophilised) Green 1 vial 20 vials Hydrogen peroxide Yellow 1 x 25µl 20 x 25µl OxiRed Probe Red 1 x 200µl 20 x 2000µl Stop Solution White 1 x 1ml 20 x 1ml
FunctionOccurs in almost all aerobically respiring organisms and serves to protect cells from the toxic effects of hydrogen peroxide. Promotes growth of cells including T-cells, B-cells, myeloid leukemia cells, melanoma cells, mastocytoma cells and normal and transformed fibroblast cells.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in CAT are the cause of acatalasia (ACATLAS) [MIM:115500]; also known as acatalasemia. This disease is characterized by absence of catalase activity in red cells and is often associated with ulcerating oral lesions.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the catalase family.
modificationsThe N-terminus is blocked.
- Information by UniProt
ab83464 has been referenced in 55 publications.
- Almatroodi SA et al. 6-Gingerol, a Bioactive Compound of Ginger Attenuates Renal Damage in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats by Regulating the Oxidative Stress and Inflammation. Pharmaceutics 13:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33670981
- Lagnado A et al. Neutrophils induce paracrine telomere dysfunction and senescence in ROS-dependent manner. EMBO J 40:e106048 (2021). PubMed: 33764576
- Kim J et al. Intense Pulsed Light Attenuates UV-Induced Hyperimmune Response and Pigmentation in Human Skin Cells. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33804685
- Boysen JM et al. The Peroxiredoxin Asp f3 Acts as Redox Sensor in Aspergillus fumigatus. Genes (Basel) 12:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33946853
- El-Nobi G et al. Synbiotic Effects of Saccharomycescerevisiae, Mannan Oligosaccharides, and ß-Glucan on Innate Immunity, Antioxidant Status, and Disease Resistance of Nile Tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Antibiotics (Basel) 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34065896