Product nameCell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8) (ab228554) provides a convenient and robust way of performing a cell viability assay. The kit uses a water-soluble tetrazolium salt to quantify the number of live cells by producing an orange formazan dye upon bio-reduction in the presence of an electron carrier.
WST-8 / CCK8 solution is added directly to the test cells with no pre-mixing of components required.
WST-8 / CCK8 tetrazolium salt is reduced by cellular dehydrogenases to an orange formazan product that is soluble in tissue culture medium. The amount of formazan produced is directly proportional to the number of living cells and is measured by absorbance at 460 nm.
The excellent stability and little cytotoxicity of the WST-8 / CCK8 solution make the kit useful for assays that require long incubation (such as 24 to 48 hours).
The detection sensitivity is higher than with other tetrazolium salt-based assays such as MTT, XTT or MTS etc.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests WST-8 Solution 1 x 10ml
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
Cytotoxicity tests of HeLa cells in response to (A) SDS and (B) Staurosporine treatment were measured with The cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). HeLa cells at 10,000 cells/well/100 μL were seeded overnight in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. Cells were treated with serially diluted SDS for 2 hours or Staurosporine for 4 hours. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
Cell number was determined with the cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). (A) HeLa cells at 0 to 10,000 cells/well/100 μL, and (B) Jurkat cells at 0 to 100,000 cells/well/100 μL were added in a clear bottom 96-well plate. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
ab228554 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Yu Q et al. CircRNA circPDSS1 promotes bladder cancer by down-regulating miR-16. Biosci Rep 40:N/A (2020). PubMed: 31868205
- Ai F et al. Dexamethasone induces aberrant macrophage immune function and apoptosis. Oncol Rep 43:427-436 (2020). PubMed: 31894280
- Gao Y et al. LINC00311 promotes cancer stem-like properties by targeting miR-330-5p/TLR4 pathway in human papillary thyroid cancer. Cancer Med 9:1515-1528 (2020). PubMed: 31894666
- Wu XH et al. Astragalus saponin IV promotes osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells via miR-21/NGF/BMP2/Runx2 pathway. Acta Histochem 122:151549 (2020). PubMed: 32381364
- Xu C et al. Overexpression of calpain-1 predicts poor outcome in patients with colorectal cancer and promotes tumor cell progression associated with downregulation of FLNA. Oncol Rep 41:3424-3434 (2019). PubMed: 31002357
- Song S et al. Identification of a potent indigoid persister antimicrobial by screening dormant cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 116:2263-2274 (2019). PubMed: 31161664
- Lyu X et al. LncRNA NKILA Inhibits Retinoblastoma by Downregulating lncRNA XIST. Curr Eye Res N/A:1-5 (2019). PubMed: 30995132
- Sun X et al. Myosin Heavy Chain-Associated RNA Transcripts Promotes Gastric Cancer Progression Through the miR-4529-5p/ROCK2 Axis. Dig Dis Sci 64:3539-3548 (2019). PubMed: 31273599
- Wang J et al. Cervical carcinoma high-expressed long non-coding RNA 1 may promote growth of colon adenocarcinoma through interleukin-17A. Oncol Lett 18:1491-1496 (2019). PubMed: 31423215
- Wu XY et al. BF211, a derivative of bufalin, enhances the cytocidal effects in multiple myeloma cells by inhibiting the IL-6/JAK2/STAT3 pathway. Int Immunopharmacol 64:24-32 (2018). PubMed: 30145467