Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameCell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8) (ab228554) provides a convenient and robust way of performing a cell viability assay. The kit uses a water-soluble tetrazolium salt to quantify the number of live cells by producing an orange formazan dye upon bio-reduction in the presence of an electron carrier.
WST-8 / CCK8 solution is added directly to the test cells with no pre-mixing of components required.
WST-8 / CCK8 tetrazolium salt is reduced by cellular dehydrogenases to an orange formazan product that is soluble in tissue culture medium. The amount of formazan produced is directly proportional to the number of living cells and is measured by absorbance at 460 nm.
The excellent stability and little cytotoxicity of the WST-8 / CCK8 solution make the kit useful for assays that require long incubation (such as 24 to 48 hours).
The detection sensitivity is higher than with other tetrazolium salt-based assays such as MTT, XTT or MTS etc.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests WST-8 Solution 1 x 10ml
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
Cytotoxicity tests of HeLa cells in response to (A) SDS and (B) Staurosporine treatment were measured with The cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). HeLa cells at 10,000 cells/well/100 μL were seeded overnight in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. Cells were treated with serially diluted SDS for 2 hours or Staurosporine for 4 hours. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
Cell number was determined with the cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). (A) HeLa cells at 0 to 10,000 cells/well/100 μL, and (B) Jurkat cells at 0 to 100,000 cells/well/100 μL were added in a clear bottom 96-well plate. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
ab228554 has been referenced in 65 publications.
- Li S et al. NLRX1/FUNDC1/NIPSNAP1-2 axis regulates mitophagy and alleviates intestinal ischaemia/reperfusion injury. Cell Prolif 54:e12986 (2021). PubMed: 33432610
- Liang Q et al. Osteopontin-induced lncRNA HOTAIR expression is involved in osteoarthritis by regulating cell proliferation. BMC Geriatr 21:57 (2021). PubMed: 33446111
- Fan K et al. Visualized podocyte-targeting and focused ultrasound responsive glucocorticoid nano-delivery system against immune-associated nephropathy without glucocorticoid side effect. Theranostics 11:2670-2690 (2021). PubMed: 33456566
- Zhang Y et al. Optimized RNA-targeting CRISPR/Cas13d technology outperforms shRNA in identifying functional circRNAs. Genome Biol 22:41 (2021). PubMed: 33478577
- Huang L et al. Comparative Study on 3D Printed Ti6Al4V Scaffolds with Surface Modifications Using Hydrothermal Treatment and Microarc Oxidation to Enhance Osteogenic Activity. ACS Omega 6:1465-1476 (2021). PubMed: 33490806