Product nameCell Cytotoxicity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Cell Cytotoxicity kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Monitoring cell cytotoxicity is one of the most essential tasks for studying cellular functions. There are a variety of parameters that can be used. ab112118 uses a proprietary water-soluble dye that changes its absorption spectra upon cellular reduction. The absorption ratio change is directly proportional to the number of living cells. The characteristics of its high sensitivity, non-radioactivity and no-wash method make ab112118 suitable for high throughput screening of cell proliferation or cytotoxicity against a variety of compounds.
ab112118 does not require pre-mixing of components and has higher sensitivity compared to tetrazolium based colorimetric assays (such as MTT and XTT). It comes with reagents sufficient to run 1000 assays. The kit components are quite stable with minimal cytotoxicity, thus longer incubation times (such as 24-48 hours) are possible if required.
ab112118 is robust and convenient to use. It can be readily adapted for a wide variety of instrument platforms. The assay can be performed in a convenient 96-well or 384-well microtiter-plate format.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Cytotoxicity assay protocol summary:
- add assay solution to cells and shake for 30 s
- incubate for 1-24 hrs
- analyze with microplate reader
ab112118 should be stored desiccated.
As low as 300 cells can be accurately quantified using ab112118.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 1000 tests Assay Solution Component A 1 x 20ml
- FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide, Protein synthesis inhibitor (ab120093)
- SB431542, ALK inhibitor (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK, Irreversible general caspase inhibitor (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor (ab120487)
- Doxorubicin hydrochloride, Topoisomerase II inhibitor (ab120629)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C), AMP-kinase inhibitor (ab120843)
- Calcein AM, fluorescent dye for cell viability (ab141420)
•HeLa: day before experiment cells seeded in 96 wp @ 1e4 cells/well and treated with 1µM, 10 µM and 50 µM Camptothecin (incubated for 24h); on the day of experiment cells incubated with Assay Solution for 2 hours.
•NIH3T3: day before experiment cells seeded in 96 wp @ 1e4 cells/well and treated with 1µM, 10 µM and 50 µM Camptothecin (incubated for 24h); on the day of experiment cells incubated with Assay Solution for 2 hours.
CHO-K1 cell number response was measured with ab112118. CHO-K1 cells at 0 to 10,000 cells/well/100 µL were seeded overnight in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. The cells were incubated with 20 µL/well of Assay Solution for 3 hours at 37 oC. The absorbance intensity was measured at 570 nm and 605 nm. The ratio of OD570/OD605 is proportional to the number of cells as indicated.
ab112118 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Ayyash M et al. In vitro investigation of bioactivities of solid-state fermented lupin, quinoa and wheat using Lactobacillus spp. Food Chem 275:50-58 (2019). PubMed: 30724226
- Hasany M et al. Silica nanoparticle surface chemistry: An important trait affecting cellular biocompatibility in two and three dimensional culture systems. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 182:110353 (2019). PubMed: 31336281
- Ayyash M et al. In vitro investigation of anticancer, antihypertensive, antidiabetic, and antioxidant activities of camel milk fermented with camel milk probiotic: A comparative study with fermented bovine milk. J Dairy Sci 101:900-911 (2018). PubMed: 29224862
- Lautenschläger J et al. C-terminal calcium binding of a-synuclein modulates synaptic vesicle interaction. Nat Commun 9:712 (2018). PubMed: 29459792
- Popik W et al. Phosphorodiamidate morpholino targeting the 5' untranslated region of the ZIKV RNA inhibits virus replication. Virology 519:77-85 (2018). PubMed: 29679791
- Sheridan MA et al. African and Asian strains of Zika virus differ in their ability to infect and lyse primitive human placental trophoblast. PLoS One 13:e0200086 (2018). PubMed: 29985932
- Yuzhalin AE et al. Colorectal cancer liver metastatic growth depends on PAD4-driven citrullination of the extracellular matrix. Nat Commun 9:4783 (2018). PubMed: 30429478
- Weber EJ et al. Human kidney on a chip assessment of polymyxin antibiotic nephrotoxicity. JCI Insight 3:N/A (2018). PubMed: 30568031
- Al-Dhaheri AS et al. Health-promoting benefits of low-fat akawi cheese made by exopolysaccharide-producing probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from camel milk. J Dairy Sci 100:7771-7779 (2017). PubMed: 28755944