Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based (quantitative)
- Platform: Microplate reader, Fluorescence microscope
- Assay time: 60 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameCellular ROS Assay Kit (Red)
See all Oxidative Stress kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeCell-based (quantitative)
Assay time0h 60m
Cellular ROS Assay Kit (Red) ab186027 uses a ROS sensor to quantify ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) in live cells. The red dye used in the ROS assay protocol is cell-permeable and generates red fluorescence when it reacts with ROS. The kit is an optimized “mix and read” assay format that is compatible with HTS liquid handling instruments.
ab186027 provides an ultrasensitive fluorometric one-step ROS assay. The ROS assay can be performed in a convenient 96-well or 384-well microtiter-plate format. Its signal can be easily read by a fluorescence microplate reader at Ex/Em = 520/605 nm and can be used to either quantify ROS levels in cells or to screen ROS inhibitors.
Previously called Cellular Reactive Oxygen Species Detection Assay Kit (Red Fluorescence).
Reactive oxygen species (ROS) are natural byproducts of the normal metabolism of oxygen and play important roles in cell signaling. However, during oxidative stress-related states, ROS levels can increase dramatically. The accumulation of ROS results in significant damage to cell structures. The role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, stroke, inflammatory diseases, a number of neurodegenerative diseases and cancer has been well established. The ROS measurement will help to determine how oxidative stress modulates varied intracellular pathways.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide, or the full metabolism assay guide to learn about more assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
To measure reactive oxygen species within cells, we recommend DCFDA / H2DCFDA - Cellular ROS Assay Kit ab113851. Alternative ROS assays are available in orange (ab186028), red (ab186027), and deep red (ab186029). ab238535 is used to measure ROS in biofluids, culture supernatants and cell lysates.
For assays designed to differentiate ROS, superoxides, and reactive nitrogen species: to assay ROS and superoxides use ab139476; to assay ROS, superoxides, and reactive nitrogen species use ab139473; to assay superoxides use ab219943.
PlatformMicroplate reader, Fluorescence microscope
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 200 tests Assay Buffer 1 x 20ml DMSO 1 x 200µl ROS Red Dye (Lyophilized) 1 vial
Bar graph showing relative fluorescence of Reactive Oxygen Species induced in various quantities of Hela cells at various concentrations of H2O2 after 30 min. exposure time.
Bar graph showing relative fluorescence of Reactive Oxygen Species induced in various quantities of Hela cells at various concentrations of H2O2 after 120 min. exposure time.
ab186027 has been referenced in 17 publications.
- Yang Y & Min Z Effect of long non-coding RNA AK021443 on promoting hepatic fibrosis in vitro. Mol Med Rep 23:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33495828
- Fei D et al. KAT6A regulates stemness of aging bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells through Nrf2/ARE signaling pathway. Stem Cell Res Ther 12:104 (2021). PubMed: 33541408
- Liu X et al. Combination Chemo-Immunotherapy for Pancreatic Cancer Using the Immunogenic Effects of an Irinotecan Silicasome Nanocarrier Plus Anti-PD-1. Adv Sci (Weinh) 8:2002147 (2021). PubMed: 33747719
- Yang Y et al. Vitamin D protects glomerular mesangial cells from high glucose-induced injury by repressing JAK/STAT signaling. Int Urol Nephrol 53:1247-1254 (2021). PubMed: 33942213
- Morotti M et al. Increased expression of glutamine transporter SNAT2/SLC38A2 promotes glutamine dependence and oxidative stress resistance, and is associated with worse prognosis in triple-negative breast cancer. Br J Cancer 124:494-505 (2021). PubMed: 33028955