Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based
- Detection method: Fluorescent
Product nameCFSE - Cell Labeling Kit
See all Cell labeling kits
CFSE is a versatile tool for the fluorescent intracellular labeling of live cells. Labeled cells can be assayed using flow cytometry and fluorescent microscopy. The dye is long lasting and well retained within labeled cells. The provided CFSE is sufficient for ~1000 assays.
CFDA-SE (carboxyfluorescein diacetate succinimidyl ester) is a cell permeant molecule and is cleaved by intracellular esterases. The resulting fluorescent molecule CFSE (Carboxyfluorescein succinimidyl ester) indiscriminately with intracellular free amines to generate covalent fluorescent dye-protein conjugates. The result is live cells with an intracellular fluorescent label. At appropriate concentrations CFSE is non-toxic to cells and the fluorescence is retained after formaldehyde and alcohol fixation. CFSE labeled cells can be detected with any instrument or filter set compatible with FITC detection: Excitation(max)=492nm, Emission(max)=517nm.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests 10mM CFSE (in DMSO) 1 x 100µl
Duplexing treated and untreated cells in a single sample. One plate of HeLa cells was labeled with ab113853 (CFSE) and a second plate was treated with the hypoxia mimetic DFO but not labeled with CFSE. After harvesting, the cells were combined in a single tube, stained with a HIF1A antibody and subjected to flow cytometry. Expected results are shown in the left panel cartoon. The no primary antibody control sample (middle panel) shows the resolution of CFSE labeled and unlabeled cells. The HIF1A antibody stained cells (right panel) shows that only cells exposed to DFO have an increase in HIF1A protein levels.
Flow cytometry analysis of ab113853 (CFSE) dilution with cell division. Jurkat cells were labeled with 1µM CFSE on day0 and then a portion of the culture was subjected to flow cytometry analysis on days 1-7. Shown, an overlay histogram of the daily CFSE fluorescence intensity.
Jurkat cells labeled with ab113853 (CFSE). Jurkat cells were labeled with 1mM CFSE in media for 15 minutes, washed once with PBS and imaged on a flurorescence microscope. The cells in this image are live but fixed cells give similar results.
ab113853 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Li Z et al. Reiterative Enrichment and Authentication of CRISPRi Targets (REACT) identifies the proteasome as a key contributor to HIV-1 latency. PLoS Pathog 15:e1007498 (2019). PubMed: 30645648
- Yang J et al. Adefovir dipivoxil sensitizes colon cancer cells to vemurafenib by disrupting the KCTD12-CDK1 interaction. Cancer Lett 451:79-91 (2019). PubMed: 30872078
- Charbonneau AM et al. 3D Cultures of Salivary Gland Cells in Native or Gelled Egg Yolk Plasma, Combined with Egg White and 3D-Printing of Gelled Egg Yolk Plasma. Materials (Basel) 12:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31652954
- Poh PSP et al. Osteogenic Effect and Cell Signaling Activation of Extremely Low-Frequency Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields in Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Stem Cells Int 2018:5402853 (2018). PubMed: 30123287
- Zongyi Y et al. Interleukin-35 mitigates the function of murine transplanted islet cells via regulation of Treg/Th17 ratio. PLoS One 12:e0189617 (2017). PubMed: 29236782
- Kim J et al. Controlled delivery and minimally invasive imaging of stem cells in the lung. Sci Rep 7:13082 (2017). PubMed: 29026127
- Tian X et al. Herceptin Enhances the Antitumor Effect of Natural Killer Cells on Breast Cancer Cells Expressing Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor-2. Front Immunol 8:1426 (2017). PubMed: 29163501