Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based (quantitative)
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Purified protein
Product nameCholesterol Efflux Assay Kit (Cell-based)
Sample typeAdherent cells, Purified protein
Assay typeCell-based (quantitative)
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Cholesterol Efflux Assay Kit ab196985 is a high-throughput, cell-based screening assay for measuring cholesterol efflux. The cholesterol efflux assay protocol uses fluorescently-labeled cholesterol (Ex/Em 482/515 nm). It provides a safe, sensitive and reproducible method for measuring cholesterol efflux.
This cholesterol efflux assay can be used to:
- screen small molecules for their effect on cholesterol efflux as a part of drug discovery program.
Cholesterol efflux assay protocol summary:
- label cells with labeling and equilibration mix overnight
- wash cells, treat as required and incubate
- transfer cell supernatant to microplate, and separately solubilize cells with cell lysis buffer
- analyze supernatant and cell lysates with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K582 Cholesterol Efflux Fluorometric Assay Kit (cell-based). K582-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab196985.
Cholesterol efflux from the peripheral tissues and cells in atherosclerotic plaque is an initial and critical step in Reverse Cholesterol Transport (RCT). RCT is the process by which extra hepatic cells, including macrophage-derived foam cells in arterial atherosclerotic plaque, transport excessive cholesterol back to the liver for bile acid synthesis and excretion, thus lowering the peripheral lipid burden.
Other cholesterol assay kits include:
- HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol assay kit ab65390
- Cell-based Cholesterol assay kit ab133116
- Cholesterol/Cholesterol Ester assay kit ab65359
- Cholesterol Uptake assay kit ab236212
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 20ml Equilibration Buffer 1 x 5ml Labeling Reagent 1 x 5ml Positive Control 1 x 1ml Reagent A 1 x 10µl Reagent B 1 x 50µl Serum Treatment Reagent 1 x 1ml
ab196985 has been referenced in 17 publications.
- Syed S et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae pneumolysin and neuraminidase A convert high-density lipoproteins into pro-atherogenic particles. iScience 24:102535 (2021). PubMed: 34124613
- Chen X et al. Hesperetin inhibits foam cell formation and promotes cholesterol efflux in THP-1-derived macrophages by activating LXRa signal in an AMPK-dependent manner. J Physiol Biochem 77:405-417 (2021). PubMed: 34212313
- Alice AF et al. Listeria monocytogenes-infected human monocytic derived dendritic cells activate V?9Vd2 T cells independently of HMBPP production. Sci Rep 11:16347 (2021). PubMed: 34381163
- Nyandwi JB et al. Rosmarinic Acid Increases Macrophage Cholesterol Efflux through Regulation of ABCA1 and ABCG1 in Different Mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34445501
- Yusuf B et al. The neurorepellent, Slit2, prevents macrophage lipid loading by inhibiting CD36-dependent binding and internalization of oxidized low-density lipoprotein. Sci Rep 11:3614 (2021). PubMed: 33574432