Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based (quantitative)
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Purified protein
Product nameCholesterol Efflux Assay Kit (Cell-based)
Sample typeAdherent cells, Purified protein
Assay typeCell-based (quantitative)
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Cholesterol Efflux Assay Kit ab196985 is a high-throughput, cell-based screening assay for measuring cholesterol efflux. The cholesterol efflux assay protocol uses fluorescently-labeled cholesterol (Ex/Em 482/515 nm). It provides a safe, sensitive and reproducible method for measuring cholesterol efflux.
This cholesterol efflux assay can be used to:
- screen small molecules for their effect on cholesterol efflux as a part of drug discovery program.
Cholesterol efflux assay protocol summary:
- label cells with labeling and equilibration mix overnight
- wash cells, treat as required and incubate
- transfer cell supernatant to microplate, and separately solubilize cells with cell lysis buffer
- analyze supernatant and cell lysates with microplate reader
Cholesterol efflux from the peripheral tissues and cells in atherosclerotic plaque is an initial and critical step in Reverse Cholesterol Transport (RCT). RCT is the process by which extra hepatic cells, including macrophage-derived foam cells in arterial atherosclerotic plaque, transport excessive cholesterol back to the liver for bile acid synthesis and excretion, thus lowering the peripheral lipid burden.
Other cholesterol assay kits include:
- HDL and LDL/VLDL Cholesterol assay kit ab65390
- Cell-based Cholesterol assay kit ab133116
- Cholesterol/Cholesterol Ester assay kit ab65359
- Cholesterol Uptake assay kit ab236212
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Cell Lysis Buffer 1 x 20ml Equilibration Buffer 1 x 5ml Labeling Reagent 1 x 5ml Positive Control 1 x 1ml Reagent A 1 x 10µl Reagent B 1 x 50µl Serum Treatment Reagent 1 x 1ml
ab196985 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Shih CM et al. Dysfunctional high density lipoprotein failed to rescue the function of oxidized low density lipoprotein-treated endothelial progenitor cells: a novel index for the prediction of HDL functionality. Transl Res 205:17-32 (2019). PubMed: 30720435
- Wang Z et al. MiR-30e and miR-92a are related to atherosclerosis by targeting ABCA1. Mol Med Rep 19:3298-3304 (2019). PubMed: 30816508
- Huang Z et al. G protein pathway suppressor 2 (GPS2) links inflammation and cholesterol efflux by controlling lipopolysaccharide-induced ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 expression in macrophages. FASEB J 33:1631-1643 (2019). PubMed: 30153049
- Tumurkhuu G et al. Chlamydia pneumoniae Hijacks a Host Autoregulatory IL-1ß Loop to Drive Foam Cell Formation and Accelerate Atherosclerosis. Cell Metab 28:432-448.e4 (2018). PubMed: 29937375
- Nissilä E et al. Complement Factor H and Apolipoprotein E Participate in Regulation of Inflammation in THP-1 Macrophages. Front Immunol 9:2701 (2018). PubMed: 30519244