Key features and details
- Rat monoclonal [MA37C94 (HC484D1)] to COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein
- Reacts with: Human
- Isotype: IgG2a
Product nameAnti-COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein antibody [MA37C94 (HC484D1)]
See all COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein primary antibodies
DescriptionRat monoclonal [MA37C94 (HC484D1)] to COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein
Ab11056 recognises human COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein.
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Full length native protein (purified) corresponding to Human COMP/Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein.
EpitopeThe antibody recognises an epitope located in the central portion of the molecule. Unfortunately, we do not have information regarding the exact region.
Storage in frost free freezers is not recommended. Should this product contain a precipitate we recommend microcentrifugation before use.
This product was previously labelled as COMP
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.09% Sodium azide
Constituents: Tissue culture supernatant, PBS
Concentration information loading...
PurityProtein G purified
Clone numberMA37C94 (HC484D1)
FunctionMay play a role in the structural integrity of cartilage via its interaction with other extracellular matrix proteins such as the collagens and fibronectin. Can mediate the interaction of chondrocytes with the cartilage extracellular matrix through interaction with cell surface integrin receptors. Could play a role in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. Potent suppressor of apoptosis in both primary chondrocytes and transformed cells. Suppresses apoptosis by blocking the activation of caspase-3 and by inducing the IAP family of survival proteins (BIRC3, BIRC2, BIRC5 and XIAP). Essential for maintaining a vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) contractile/differentiated phenotype under physiological and pathological stimuli. Maintains this phenotype of VSMCs by interacting with ITGA7.
Tissue specificityAbundantly expressed in the chondrocyte extracellular matrix, and is also found in bone, tendon, ligament and synovium and blood vessels. Increased amounts are produced during late stages of osteoarthritis in the area adjacent to the main defect.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in COMP are the cause of multiple epiphyseal dysplasia type 1 (EDM1) [MIM:132400]. EDM is a generalized skeletal dysplasia associated with significant morbidity. Joint pain, joint deformity, waddling gait, and short stature are the main clinical signs and symptoms. EDM is broadly categorized into the more severe Fairbank and the milder Ribbing types.
Defects in COMP are the cause of pseudoachondroplasia (PSACH) [MIM:177170]. PSAC is a dominantly inherited chondrodysplasia characterized by short stature and early-onset osteoarthrosis. PSACH is more severe than EDM1 and is recognized in early childhood.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the thrombospondin family.
Contains 4 EGF-like domains.
Contains 1 TSP C-terminal (TSPC) domain.
Contains 8 TSP type-3 repeats.
Developmental stagePresent during the earliest stages of limb maturation and is later found in regions where the joints develop.
DomainThe cell attachment motif mediates the attachment to chondrocytes. It mediates the induction of both the IAP family of survival proteins and the antiapoptotic response.
The TSP C-terminal domain mediates interaction with FN1 and ACAN.
Cellular localizationSecreted > extracellular space > extracellular matrix.
- Information by UniProt
- cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (pseudoachondroplasia, epiphyseal dysplasia 1, multiple) antibody
- Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein antibody
- Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein precursor antibody
ab11056 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Li Q et al. HSCs-derived COMP drives hepatocellular carcinoma progression by activating MEK/ERK and PI3K/AKT signaling pathways. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 37:231 (2018). PubMed: 30231922
- Qin W et al. Upregulation of ADAMTS-7 and downregulation of COMP are associated with aortic aneurysm. Mol Med Rep 16:5459-5463 (2017). PubMed: 28849199
- Jeong JW et al. Schisandrae Fructus ethanol extract ameliorates inflammatory responses and articular cartilage damage in monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthritis in rats. EXCLI J 16:265-277 (2017). IHC-P ; Rat . PubMed: 28507472
- Yee A et al. Fibrotic-like changes in degenerate human intervertebral discs revealed by quantitative proteomic analysis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 24:503-13 (2016). PubMed: 26463451
- Posey KL et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents mitigate pathology in a mouse model of pseudoachondroplasia. Hum Mol Genet 24:3918-28 (2015). IHC ; Mouse . PubMed: 25859006
- Posey KL et al. Chondrocyte-specific pathology during skeletal growth and therapeutics in a murine model of pseudoachondroplasia. J Bone Miner Res 29:1258-68 (2014). IHC ; Mouse . PubMed: 24194321
- Bieback K et al. Altered gene expression in human adipose stem cells cultured with fetal bovine serum compared to human supplements. Tissue Eng Part A 16:3467-84 (2010). WB ; Human . PubMed: 20572797
- Di Cesare PE et al. Expression of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP) by embryonic and adult osteoblasts. J Orthop Res 18:713-20 (2000). PubMed: 11117291
- Di Cesare PE et al. Expression of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein by human synovium. FEBS Lett 412:249-52 (1997). PubMed: 9257730