Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Plasma, Serum, Suspension cells, Tissue, Tissue Homogenate
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/well
Product nameCreatine Kinase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Tissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells, Tissue Homogenate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Sensitivity< 1 mU/well
Range2 nmol/well - 10 nmol/well
Assay time1h 0m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Creatine Kinase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab155901 uses a high-throughput adaptable, simple and sensitive assay for creatine kinase (CK) activity.
In the creatine kinase assay protocol, creatine kinase (CK) converts creatine into phosphocreatine and ADP. The phosphocreatine and ADP then react with the CK enzyme mix to form an intermediate, which reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at λ= 450 nm.
This assay kit can detect CK activity to less than 1 mU.
Creatine kinase assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- analyze every 1-2 min for 10-40 min with microplate reader in kinetic mode at 37ºC
Creatine Kinase (CK) also known as creatine phosphokinase (CPK) and ATP: creatine N-phosphotransferase is a common cellular enzyme (EC 18.104.22.168). It catalyzes the reversible conversion of creatine and ATP into ADP and phosphocreatine.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests ATP Orange 1 vial CK Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml CK Developer Red 1 vial CK Enzyme Mix Green 1 vial CK Positive Control Purple 1 vial CK Substrate Blue 1 x 1ml NADH Standard Yellow 1 vial
Creatine Kinase Activity measured in various samples.
Initial protein concentration for tissue lysates varied from 1 mg/mL to 3 mg/mL. 40 μl of filtered tissue lysates were used. 30 μl of filtered biological fluids were used.
Creatine kinase activities in blood samples from wildtype and Fbn2 null mice.
Mean +/- standard deviation for a given genotype and age is shown, except where only one animal was tested. N = number of animals tested. Units are nmol NADH/min/ml.
Typical NADH standard calibration curve using colorimetric reading.
Creatine kinase activity tested in 5 µl human serum and 192 ng rat heart lysate. Assay performed following kit protocol.
ab155901 has been referenced in 14 publications.
- McRae NL et al. Genetic reduction of the extracellular matrix protein versican attenuates inflammatory cell infiltration and improves contractile function in dystrophic mdx diaphragm muscles. Sci Rep 10:11080 (2020). PubMed: 32632164
- Ganeshan K et al. Energetic Trade-Offs and Hypometabolic States Promote Disease Tolerance. Cell 177:399-413.e12 (2019). PubMed: 30853215
- Song TH et al. Dendrobine targeting JNK stress signaling to sensitize chemotoxicity of cisplatin against non-small cell lung cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Phytomedicine 53:18-27 (2019). PubMed: 30668397
- Zhang Z et al. Astragalus mongholicus (Fisch.) Bge Improves Peripheral Treg Cell Immunity Imbalance in the Children With Viral Myocarditis by Reducing the Levels of miR-146b and miR-155. Front Pediatr 6:139 (2018). PubMed: 29977885
- Luptak I et al. Decreased ATP production and myocardial contractile reserve in metabolic heart disease. J Mol Cell Cardiol 116:106-114 (2018). PubMed: 29409987