Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells
Product nameCrystal violet Assay Kit (Cell viability)
Sample typeAdherent cells
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Crystal Violet Assay Kit ab232855 is used for cytoxicity and cell viability studies with adherent cell cultures.
The Crystal Violet assay is based on staining cells that are attached to cell culture plates. It relies on the detachment of adherent cells from cell culture plates during cell death. During the assay, dead detached cells are washed away. The remaining attached live cells are stained with Crystal violet. After a wash step, the Crystal violet dye is solubilized and measured by absorbance at 595 nm.
The amount of Crystal Violet staining in the assay is directly proportional to the cell biomass that is attached to the plate. The cell biomass can be used to infer levels of cell viability / cytotoxicity. The Crystal Violet assay assumes that all cells that are attached to the plate are "alive" and that all cells that detach are "dead".
Crystal violet is a triarylmethane dye that binds to ribose type molecules such as DNA in nuclei.
Crystal Violet assay protocol summary:
- remove culture medium
- wash cells
- add Crystal Violet staining solution
- incubate for 20 mins
- wash cells and air dry plate
- add solubilization solution
- analyze using a microplate reader at 595 nm absorbance
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests Crystal violet Staining Solution 1 x 40ml 10X Washing Solution 1 x 115ml Solubilization Solution 1 x 100ml 20 mM Doxorubicin 1 x 100µl
Dose-response curve of MCF7 (Human breast adenocarcinoma cell line) cells to Doxorubicin for 72 hours determined by the Crystal violet staining assay. Assays were performed according to the kit protocol in triplicate.
Dose-response curve of HepG2 (Human liver hepatocellular carcinoma cell line) cells to Doxorubicin for 72 hours determined by the Crystal violet staining assay. Assays were performed according to the kit protocol in triplicate.
ab232855 has been referenced in 1 publication.
- Chowdhury KD et al. Cathepsin B mediated scramblase activation triggers cytotoxicity and cell cycle arrest by andrographolide to overcome cellular resistance in cisplatin resistant human hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 68:120-132 (2019). PubMed: 30889542