Product nameCy5® Conjugation Kit (Fast) - Lightning-Link®
Cy5® Conjugation Kit / Cy5® Labeling Kit (ab188288) uses a simple and quick process for Cy5 labeling / conjugation of antibodies. It can also be used to conjugate other proteins or peptides. Learn about our antibody labeling kits and their advantages.
To conjugate an antibody to Cy5 using this kit:
- add modifier to antibody and incubate for 15 min
- add quencher and incubate for 5 mins
The Cy5 conjugated antibody can be used immediately in WB, ELISA, IHC etc. No further purification is required and 100% of the antibody is recovered for use.
Learn about buffer compatibility below; for incompatible buffers and low antibody concentrations, use our rapid antibody purification and concentration kits. Use the FAQ to learn more about the technology, or about conjugating other proteins and peptides to Cy5.
Custom size conjugation kits up to 100 mg are available on demand. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This product is manufactured by Expedeon, an Abcam company, and was previously called Lightning-Link® Rapid Cy5 Labeling Kit. 342-0005 is the same as the 100 µg size. 342-0010 is the same as the 3 x 100 ug size. 342-0030 is the same as the 3 x 10 ug size. 342-0015 is the same as the 1 mg size.
Amount and volume of antibody for conjugation to Cy5
Kit size Recommended
amount of antibody1
amount of antibody
3 x 10 µg 3 x 10 µg 3 x 20 µg 3 x 10 µL 100 µg 1 x 100 µg 1 x 200 µg 1 x 100 µL 3 x 100 µg 3 x 100 µg 3 x 200 µg 3 x 100 µL 1 mg 1 x 1 mg 1 x 2 mg 1 x 1 mL
1 Using the maximum amount of antibody may result in less labelling per antibody.
2 Ideal antibody concentration is 1mg/ml. 0.5 - 1 mg/ml can be used if the maximum antibody volume is not exceeded. Antibodies > 2mg/ml or < 0.5 mg/ml should be diluted /concentrated.
Buffer Requirements for Conjugation
Buffer should be pH 6.5-8.5.
Compatible buffer constituents
If a concentration is shown, then the constituent should be no more than the concentration shown. If several constituents are close to the limit of acceptable concentration, then this can inhibit conjugation.
50mM / 0.6% Tris1 0.1% BSA2 50% glycerol 0.1% sodium azide PBS Potassium phosphate Sodium chloride HEPES Sucrose Sodium citrate EDTA Trehalose
1 Tris buffered saline is almost always ≤ 50 mM / 0.6%
2 BSA can also interfere with the use of the conjugated antibody in tissue staining.
Incompatible buffer constituents
Thiomerosal Proclin Glycine Arginine Glutathione DTT
Only purified antibodies are suitable for use, ie. where other proteins, peptides, or amino acids are not present: antibodies in ascites fluid, serum or hybridoma culture media are incompatible.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 mg 100 µg 3 x 10 µg 3 x 100 µg ab274058 - Cyanine Dye5 1 x 1mg 1 x 100µg 3 x 10µg 3 x 100µg ab273994 - Modifier reagent 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl ab273995 - Quencher reagent 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl 1 x 200µl
- Antibody Concentration And Clean-Up Kit (ab102778)
- Antibody Purification Kit (Protein A) (ab102784)
- TCS Antibody Purification Kit (ab109207)
- Serum Antibody Purification Kit (Protein A) (ab109209)
- Mouse Antibody Purification Kit (ab128745)
- Mouse TCS Antibody Purification Kit (ab128749)
- BSA Removal Kit (ab173231)
Dassanayake, Rohana P et al used ab188288 as part of examining the antimicrobial activity of bovine NK-lysin-derived peptides.
They used the kit to conjugate Cy5® to NK2A peptide for use in confocal microscopy.
H. somni was incubated with unconjugated Cy5 (A) or 20 μM NK2A-Cy5 conjugate for 30 min and bacterial nuclear contents were stained with DAPI. NK2A-Cy5 conjugate is shown in red and DAPI is shown in blue.
ab188288 has been referenced in 4 publications.
- Mellal K et al. Immunometabolic modulation of retinal inflammation by CD36 ligand. Sci Rep 9:12903 (2019). PubMed: 31501473
- Katoh H et al. Immunogenetic Profiling for Gastric Cancers Identifies Sulfated Glycosaminoglycans as Major and Functional B Cell Antigens in Human Malignancies. Cell Rep 20:1073-1087 (2017). PubMed: 28768193
- Rizvi AH et al. Single-cell topological RNA-seq analysis reveals insights into cellular differentiation and development. Nat Biotechnol 35:551-560 (2017). PubMed: 28459448
- Yuan S et al. Changes in anti-thyroglobulin IgG glycosylation patterns in Hashimoto's thyroiditis patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100:717-24 (2015). PubMed: 25380293