Product nameCytochrome c Release Assay Kit
See all Cytochrome c kits
Sample typeTissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time3h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Cytochrome c Release Assay Kit ab65311 provides an effective means for detecting cytochrome c translocation from mitochondria into cytosol during apoptosis.
The kit provides reagents to isolate a highly enriched mitochondria fraction from cytosol. The procedure is simple and easy to perform; no ultracentrifugation is required and no toxic chemicals are involved.
Cytochrome c release from mitochondria into the cytosol is determined by Western blotting using the cytochrome c antibody provided in the kit.
The anti-Cytochrome c antibody is a mouse monoclonal antibody that reacts with denatured human, mouse, and rat cytochrome c.
Cytochrome c release assay protocol summary:
- collect cells, centrifuge and wash with PBS
- resuspend in cytosol extraction buffer mix
- homogenize cells with a dounce tissue grinder
- centrifuge homogenate at 700 x g for 10 min
- collect supernatant and centrifuge at 10,000 g for 30 min, collect supernatant as cytosolic fraction
- resuspend pellet in mitochondrial extraction buffer mix and save as mitochondrial fraction
- analyze cytosolic and mitochondrial fractions in western blotting with cytochrome c antibody
This kit was previously called Cytochrome c Releasing Apoptosis Assay Kit.
Cytochrome c plays an important role in apoptosis. The protein is located in the space between the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes. An apoptotic stimulus triggers the release of cytochrome c from the mitochondria into cytosol where it binds to Apaf-1. The cytochrome c/Apaf-1 complex activates caspase-9, which then activates caspase-3 and other downstream caspases.
Other apoptosis assays
For more apoptosis assays, review the apoptosis assay and apoptosis marker guide.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 5X Cytosol Extraction Buffer 1 x 20ml Anti-Cytochrome c Mouse mAb Green 1 x 100µl DTT 1 x 110µl Mitochondria Extraction Buffer 1 x 10ml Protease Inhibitor Cocktail 1 vial
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Energy transfer pathways
- Integration of energy
RelevanceCytochrome c plays an important role in apoptosis. The protein is located in the space between the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes. An apoptotic stimulus triggers the release of cytochrome c from the mitochondria into cytosol where it binds to Apaf-1. The cytochrome c/Apaf-1 complex activates caspase-9, which then activates caspase-3 and other downstream caspases.
Cytochrome C release was measured using Cytochrome C releasing apoptosis assay kit (ab65311). Blots showing immunoreactive bands for cytochrome c in cytosol (Image A). Data was expressed in fold-increase of cytochrome c compared to vehicle. Protein expression levels were normalized to β-actin (Figure B). Blots (Image C) of immunoreactive bands for cytochrome C in mitochondria. Figure D shows a fold-increase of cytochrome C compared to vehicle. Protein expression levels were normalized to COX IV.
5x10e7 Jurkat cells were cultured in the absence (1-2) or presence of 2 uM Camptothecin (CPT) (ab120115) for 24 hours (3-4) or with 10 uM CPT for 4 hours (5-6). 30 uL cytosolic (1, 3, 5) and mitochondrial (2, 4, 6) extracts were loaded onto the gel. Membranes were probed with anti-Cytochrome C Mouse MAb (ab65311) (dilution 1:200) followed by Goat Anti-Mouse IgG (HRP) (ab97040) (dilution 1:2000).
Bands were detected at the prediced size of 12 kDa.
ab65311 has been referenced in 19 publications.
- Singh V et al. The TLK1/Nek1 axis contributes to mitochondrial integrity and apoptosis prevention via phosphorylation of VDAC1. Cell Cycle 19:363-375 (2020). PubMed: 31914854
- Liu J et al. 3-Bromopyruvate alleviates the development of monocrotaline-induced rat pulmonary arterial hypertension by decreasing aerobic glycolysis, inducing apoptosis, and suppressing inflammation. Chin Med J (Engl) 133:49-60 (2020). PubMed: 31923104
- Kawala RA et al. Kenalog modified by ionizing radiation induces intrinsic apoptosis mediated by elevated levels of reactive oxygen species in melanoma cancer. Oncol Rep 41:1837-1850 (2019). PubMed: 30569155
- Koutsogiannis Z et al. G418 induces programmed cell death in Acanthamoeba through the elevation of intracellular calcium and cytochrome c translocation. Parasitol Res 118:641-651 (2019). PubMed: 30617503
- Pansarasa O et al. Lymphoblastoid cell lines as a model to understand amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease mechanisms. Dis Model Mech 11:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29419416