Key features and details
- NMDA glutamate site antagonist
- CAS Number: 79055-68-8
- Purity: > 99%
- Soluble in water to 100 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameD-AP5, NMDA glutamate site antagonist
DescriptionNMDA glutamate site antagonist
Competitive NMDA receptor glutamate site antagonist. More active form of DL-AP5.
Also available in simple stock solutions (ab144482) - add 1 ml of water to get an exact, ready-to-use concentration.
Chemical nameD-(-)-2-Amino-5-phosphonopentanoic acid
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
(A) Photomicrograph of a DCN fusiform cell filled with lucifer yellow (top) and whole cell voltage clamp recording of this fusiform cell while stimulating the LVN (bottom). (B) Photomicrograph of a DCN granule cell filled with lucifer yellow (top) and whole cell voltage clamp recording of this granule cell while stimulating the LVN (bottom). Both cells were held at -68 mV and the LVN was stimulated at 0.3 Hz. Glutamatergic EPSCs are represented in black and are blocked by 50 µm D-AP5 and 10 µm NBQX (traces in red). Each trace represents an average of 10-20 single traces. The arrowhead represents the artifact of stimulus that has been removed for clarity. Scale bar: (A) 50 µm, (B) 20 µm.
Averaged Ca2+ transients (500 Hz line scans) evoked by 40 ms voltage step in a dendrite (left) and spine (right) in control (black), D-AP5 (red, 10 µM), after a 10 min washout of D-AP5 (green), and in 5 µM NMDA (blue). Mibefradil (20 µM), nimodipine (20 µM) and TTX (0.5 µM) were present throughout.
Representative voltage-clamp recording (Vh= −60 mV, ECl−=+8 mV) of a Purkinje cells response to simulated ischemia and sequential block of glutamate receptors and GABAA receptors.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120003 has been referenced in 223 publications.
- Hunker AC et al. Conditional Single Vector CRISPR/SaCas9 Viruses for Efficient Mutagenesis in the Adult Mouse Nervous System. Cell Rep 30:4303-4316.e6 (2020). PubMed: 32209486
- Armbruster M et al. Effects of fluorescent glutamate indicators on neurotransmitter diffusion and uptake. Elife 9:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32352378
- Halff EF et al. SNX27-Mediated Recycling of Neuroligin-2 Regulates Inhibitory Signaling. Cell Rep 29:2599-2607.e6 (2019). PubMed: 31775031
- Stahlberg MA et al. Investigating the feasibility of channelrhodopsin variants for nanoscale optogenetics. Neurophotonics 6:015007 (2019). PubMed: 30854405
- Dorgans K et al. Short-term plasticity at cerebellar granule cell to molecular layer interneuron synapses expands information processing. Elife 8:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31081751