Product nameDoxycycline hydrochloride, Tetracycline antibiotic
DescriptionBroad spectrum tetracycline antibiotic
- 2-Naphthacenecarboxamide, 4-(dimethylamino)- 1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydro-3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy-6-methyl-1,11-dioxo-, hydrochloride (1:1), (4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-
Broad spectrum tetracycline derivative with similar antimicrobial activity. Blocks binding of aminoacyl-tRNA to the mRNA-ribosome complex, thereby inhibiting protein synthesis. Potent MMP (matrix metalloproteinase) inhibitor. Inhibits collagenase activity. Antiprotozoal properties.
Chemical name(4S,4aR,5S,5aR,6R,12aS)-4-(Dimethylamino)-1,4,4a,5,5a,6,11,12a-octahydro-3,5,10,12,12a-pentahydroxy-6-methyl-1,11-dioxo-2-naphthacenecarboxamide hydrochloride
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 5 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Li X et al. Preparation, characterization and pharmacokinetics of doxycycline hydrochloride and florfenicol polyvinylpyrroliddone microparticle entrapped with hydroxypropyl-ß-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes suspension. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 141:634-42 (2016). Read more (PubMed: 26918512) »
- Singh Y et al. Subcutaneously Administered Ultrafine PLGA Nanoparticles Containing Doxycycline Hydrochloride Target Lymphatic Filarial Parasites. Mol Pharm 13:2084-2094 (2016). Read more (PubMed: 27144397) »
- Burggraf D et al. Doxycycline inhibits MMPs via modulation of plasminogen activators in focal cerebral ischemia. Neurobiol Dis 25:506-13 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17166729) »
- Heine HS et al. Comparison of 2 antibiotics that inhibit protein synthesis for the treatment of infection with Yersinia pestis delivered by aerosol in a mouse model of pneumonic plague. J Infect Dis 196:782-7 (2007). Read more (PubMed: 17674322) »
- Liu J et al. Mechanism of inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression by doxycycline in human aortic smooth muscle cells. J Vasc Surg 38:1376-83 (2003). Read more (PubMed: 14681644) »
- Suomalainen K et al. Specificity of the anticollagenase action of tetracyclines: relevance to their anti-inflammatory potential. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 36:227-9 (1992). Read more (PubMed: 1317148) »