Product nameDTNB, sulfhydryl reagent
DescriptionSulfhydryl reagent used to characterize reactive thiol groups.
- 3-Carboxy-4-nitrophenyl disulfide
- Bis(3-carboxy-4-nitrophenyl) disulfide
- Ellman's Reagent
Sulfhydryl reagent used to characterize reactive thiol groups. Reacts quantitatively with sulfhydryl groups to yield a colored product, providing a reliable method to measure reduced cysteines and other free sulfhydryls in solution. Useful in photometric determination of thiols. Also used in high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) to determine the alkylthiol content.
Chemical name3,3'-Dithiobis[6-nitrobenzoic acid]
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Li ZG Quantification of hydrogen sulfide concentration using methylene blue and 5,5'-dithiobis(2-nitrobenzoic acid) methods in plants. Methods Enzymol 554:101-10 (2015). Read more (PubMed: 25725518) »
- Simpson RJ Estimation of Free Thiols and Disulfide Bonds Using Ellman's Reagent. CSH Protoc 2008:pdb.prot4699 (2008). Read more (PubMed: 21356901) »
- Riener CK et al. Quick measurement of protein sulfhydryls with Ellman's reagent and with 4,4'-dithiodipyridine. Anal Bioanal Chem 373:266-76 (2002). Read more (PubMed: 12110978) »
- Riddles PW et al. Reassessment of Ellman's reagent. Methods Enzymol 91:49-60 (1983). Read more (PubMed: 6855597) »