Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to Elastin
- Suitable for: IHC-P
- Reacts with: Human
- Isotype: IgG
- Research with confidence – consistent and reproducible results with every batch
- Long-term and scalable supply – powered by recombinant technology for fast production
- Success from the first experiment – confirmed specificity through extensive validation
- Ethical standards compliant – production is animal-free
Product nameAnti-Elastin antibody
See all Elastin primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Elastin
Specificityab23747 reacts with elastin, cross-reactivity in RIA at 1:500 dilution: human collagen type I, II, III, IV, V <0.1 %; human fibronectin < 0.1%
Tested applicationsSuitable for: IHC-Pmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Full length native elastin purified from human skin.
The Life Science industry has been in the grips of a reproducibility crisis for a number of years. Abcam is leading the way in addressing this with our range of recombinant monoclonal antibodies and knockout edited cell lines for gold-standard validation. Please check that this product meets your needs before purchasing.
If you have any questions, special requirements or concerns, please send us an inquiry and/or contact our Support team ahead of purchase. Recommended alternatives for this product can be found below, along with publications, customer reviews and Q&As
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Upon delivery aliquot and store at -20°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycles.
Storage bufferConstituent: PBS
Concentration information loading...
PurityProtein A purified
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab23747 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
FunctionMajor structural protein of tissues such as aorta and nuchal ligament, which must expand rapidly and recover completely. Molecular determinant of the late arterial morphogenesis, stabilizing arterial structure by regulating proliferation and organization of vascular smooth muscle.
Tissue specificityExpressed within the outer myometrial smooth muscle and throughout the arteriolar tree of uterus (at protein level). Also expressed in the large arteries, lung and skin.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in ELN are a cause of autosomal dominant cutis laxa (ADCL) [MIM:123700]. Cutis laxa is a rare connective tissue disorder characterized by loose, hyperextensible skin with decreased resilience and elasticity leading to a premature aged appearance. The skin changes are often accompanied by extracutaneous manifestations, including pulmonary emphysema, bladder diverticula, pulmonary artery stenosis and pyloric stenosis.
Defects in ELN are the cause of supravalvular aortic stenosis (SVAS) [MIM:185500]. SVAS is a congenital narrowing of the ascending aorta which can occur sporadically, as an autosomal dominant condition, or as one component of Williams-Beuren syndrome.
Note=ELN is located in the Williams-Beuren syndrome (WBS) critical region. WBS results from a hemizygous deletion of several genes on chromosome 7q11.23, thought to arise as a consequence of unequal crossing over between highly homologous low-copy repeat sequences flanking the deleted region. Haploinsufficiency of ELN may be the cause of certain cardiovascular and musculo-skeletal abnormalities observed in the disease.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the elastin family.
modificationsElastin is formed through the cross-linking of its soluble precursor tropoelastin. Cross-linking is initiated through the action of lysyl oxidase on exposed lysines to form allysine. Subsequent spontaneous condensation reactions with other allysine or unmodified lysine residues result in various bi-, tri-, and tetrafunctional cross-links. The most abundant cross-links in mature elastin fibers are lysinonorleucine, allysine aldol, desmosine, and isodesmosine.
Hydroxylation on proline residues within the sequence motif, GXPG, is most likely 4-hydroxy as this fits the requirement for 4-hydroxylation in vertebrates.
Cellular localizationSecreted > extracellular space > extracellular matrix. Extracellular matrix of elastic fibers.
- Information by UniProt
- Elastin antibody
- ELN antibody
- ELN_HUMAN antibody
Immunohistochemistry of human skin sections staining Elastin using ab23747 at a 1/500 dilution.
IHC image of ab23747 staining in human skin formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue section, performed on a Leica BondTM system using the standard protocol F. The section was pre-treated using heat mediated antigen retrieval with sodium citrate buffer (pH6, epitope retrieval solution 1) for 20 mins. The section was then incubated with ab23747 1µg/ml, for 15 mins at room temperature and detected using an HRP conjugated compact polymer system. DAB was used as the chromogen. The section was then counterstained with haematoxylin and mounted with DPX.
For other IHC staining systems (automated and non-automated) customers should optimize variable parameters such as antigen retrieval conditions, primary antibody concentration and antibody incubation times.
ab23747 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Li J et al. Elastin is a key factor of tumor development in colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer 20:217 (2020). PubMed: 32171282
- Wang H et al. Differential gene expression of extracellular-matrix-related proteins in the vaginal apical compartment of women with pelvic organ prolapse. Int Urogynecol J 30:439-446 (2019). PubMed: 29600404
- Ud-Din S et al. A Double-Blind, Randomized Trial Shows the Role of Zonal Priming and Direct Topical Application of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate in the Modulation of Cutaneous Scarring in Human Skin. J Invest Dermatol 139:1680-1690.e16 (2019). PubMed: 30822414
- Bax NAM et al. In vivo and in vitro Approaches Reveal Novel Insight Into the Ability of Epicardium-Derived Cells to Create Their Own Extracellular Environment. Front Cardiovasc Med 6:81 (2019). PubMed: 31275946
- Krijgsman D et al. A method for semi-automated image analysis of HLA class I tumour epithelium expression in rectal cancer. Eur J Histochem 63:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31113192
- Min J et al. Extracellular matrix metabolism disorder induced by mechanical strain on human parametrial ligament fibroblasts. Mol Med Rep 15:3278-3284 (2017). PubMed: 28339064
- Blok EJ et al. Combined evaluation of the FAS cell surface death receptor and CD8+ tumor infiltrating lymphocytes as a prognostic biomarker in breast cancer. Oncotarget 8:15610-15620 (2017). IHC-P ; Human . PubMed: 28121628
- Gupta V et al. Glaucoma is associated with plasmin proteolytic activation mediated through oxidative inactivation of neuroserpin. Sci Rep 7:8412 (2017). PubMed: 28827627
- Liu C et al. Role of transforming growth factor ß-1 in the pathogenesis of pelvic organ prolapse: A potential therapeutic target. Int J Mol Med 40:347-356 (2017). WB, IHC-P . PubMed: 28656271
- Tian X et al. Adipose stem cells promote smooth muscle cells to secrete elastin in rat abdominal aortic aneurysm. PLoS One 9:e108105 (2014). WB ; Rat . PubMed: 25243605