Product nameEsmolol hydrochloride, cardioselective beta-blocker
DescriptionCardioselective β-blocker, used to control rapid heartbeats or abnormal heart rhythms.
- 4-[2-Hydroxy-3-[(1-methylethyl)amino]propoxy]benzenepropanoic acid methyl ester hydrochloride hydrochloride
- Esmolol (hydrochloride)
Ultrashort-acting β1 adrenoceptor antagonist (β1 receptor occupancy = 84.7%); the primary site of activity is on sinus node and atrioventricular (AV) nodal conduction systems. Antiarrhythmic agent.
Chemical nameMethyl 3-[4-[2-hydroxy-3-(propan-2-ylamino)propoxy]phenyl]propanoate hydrochloride
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM, in water to 100 mM and in ethanol to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Deng CY et al. Esmolol inhibits Na+ current in rat ventricular myocytes. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 28:697-702 (2006). Read more (PubMed: 17235414) »
- Wiest D Esmolol. A review of its therapeutic efficacy and pharmacokinetic characteristics. Clin Pharmacokinet 28:190-202 (1995). Read more (PubMed: 7758250) »
- Volz-Zang C et al. Esmolol, an ultrashort-acting, selective beta 1-adrenoceptor antagonist: pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 46:399-404 (1994). Read more (PubMed: 7957532) »
- Vucevic M et al. Esmolol hydrochloride for management of the cardiovascular stress responses to laryngoscopy and tracheal intubation. Br J Anaesth 68:529-30 (1992). Read more (PubMed: 1642945) »
- Greenspan AM et al. Electrophysiology of esmolol. Am J Cardiol 56:19F-26F (1985). Read more (PubMed: 2864844) »
- Yacobi A et al. Esmolol: a pharmacokinetic profile of a new cardioselective beta-blocking agent. J Pharm Sci 72:710-1 (1983). Read more (PubMed: 6135794) »