- References (1)
Product nameEthidium bromide, fluorescent dye for DNA/RNA staining
DescriptionIntercalating fluorescent dye reagent for DNA/RNA staining
- 3,8-Diamino-5-ethyl-6-phenylphenanthridinium bromide
- Homidium bromide
Intercalates double-stranded DNA and RNA. Bound Ethidium bromide fluoresces very strongly compared to free Ethidium bromide. Commonly used reagent for use in gel staining and other staining purposes. Acts as a frameshift mutagen and is a DNA polymerase inhibitor because of its ability to bind to DNA.
Chemical name5-Ethyl-6-phenylphenanthridin-5-ium-3,8-diamine bromide
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSupplied in water (1 mg/ml)
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Diaz F et al. Human mitochondrial DNA with large deletions repopulates organelles faster than full-length genomes under relaxed copy number control. Nucleic Acids Res 30:4626-33 (2002). Read more (PubMed: 12409452) »
- Sigmon J & Larcom LL The effect of ethidium bromide on mobility of DNA fragments in agarose gel electrophoresis. Electrophoresis 17:1524-7 (1996). Read more (PubMed: 8957173) »
- Stevenson P et al. Comparison of isometamidium chloride and homidium bromide as prophylactic drugs for trypanosomiasis in cattle at Nguruman, Kenya. Acta Trop 59:77-84 (1995). Read more (PubMed: 7676909) »
- Scaria PV & Shafer RH Binding of ethidium bromide to a DNA triple helix. Evidence for intercalation. J Biol Chem 266:5417-23 (1991). Read more (PubMed: 2005088) »
- LePecq JB & Paoletti C A fluorescent complex between ethidium bromide and nucleic acids. Physical-chemical characterization. J Mol Biol 27:87-106 (1967). Read more (PubMed: 6033613) »
- Elliott WH The effects of antimicrobial agents on deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase. Biochem J 86:562-7 (1963). Read more (PubMed: 16748992) »