Product nameExtracellular Oxygen Consumption Reagent
See all Extracellular Oxygen Consumption kits
Sample typeTissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells, Purified mitochondria
Assay typeCell-based (quantitative)
Extracellular Oxygen Consumption Reagent ab197242 is an oxygen-sensitive fluorescent dye; its fluorescence is quenched by oxygen. The dye is used in a mix-and-read, 96-well fluorescence plate reader assay for the real-time kinetic analysis of extracellular oxygen consumption rates (OCR). The oxygen consumption rate is a measure of the cellular respiration rate, and of mitochondrial function.
The Extracellular Oxygen Consumption Reagent dye is used with an oil layer which is added on top of the assay medium to limit diffusion of oxygen into the assay medium. As mitochondrial respiration depletes the oxygen within the assay medium, quenching of the fluorescent dye is reduced, and the fluorescence signal increases proportionately.
The dye and a suitable oil are available together in Extracellular Oxygen Consumption Assay Kit ab197243.
The extracellular oxygen consumption assay that the dye is used in, is optimized for isolated mitochondria and cell cultures, and can be used with tissues, enzyme preparations, and small organisms.
The dye excites at 360-380 nm (max 380) and emits at 630-680 nm (max 650).
Learn more about the full range of assays to measure glycolysis, oxygen consumption, fatty acid oxidation and metabolic flux in live cells.
Or review the full metabolism assay guide for other assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 96 tests 4 x 96 tests Extracellular O2 Consumption Reagent 1 vial 4 vials
- Extracellular Oxygen Consumption Assay (ab197243)
- Glycolysis Assay [Extracellular acidification] (ab197244)
- Intracellular Oxygen Concentration Assay (ab197245)
- Mitochondrial Stress Test Complete Assay Kit (ab232857)
- Mitochondrial Stress Test Companion Assay (ab243390)
- Mineral Oil High sensitivity (ab243855)
Typical lifetime profile of Extracellular O2 Consumption Assay for adherent cells, treated with different ETC compounds, including Antimycin A (recommended as a Negative Control). The effect of Glucose Oxidase as a positive Signal Control is illustrated schematically.
Excitation and emission spectra of Extracellular O2 Consumption Reagent. Left panel shows normalized excitation (Ex = 360-400nm; Peak 380nm). Right panel shows emission (Em = 630 - 680nm; Peak 650nm) in oxygenated and deoxygenated conditions.
ab197242 has been referenced in 2 publications.
- Zhu T et al. Ferroptosis Promotes Photodynamic Therapy: Supramolecular Photosensitizer-Inducer Nanodrug for Enhanced Cancer Treatment. Theranostics 9:3293-3307 (2019). PubMed: 31244955
- Song W et al. Activin signaling mediates muscle-to-adipose communication in a mitochondria dysfunction-associated obesity model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A N/A:N/A (2017). PubMed: 28739899