Product nameFACS Blue LacZ beta Galactosidase detection kit
See all beta galactosidase kits
Although chromogenic assays of β-galactosidase activity (i.e. X-Gal) have use, application of the fluorogenic substrate 3-carboxyumbelliferyI β-D-galactopyranoside (CUG) (blue fluorescence) combined with Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting (FACS) analysis has been shown to be several orders of magnitude more sensitive. In addition, because of its high water solubility and detection limits, the CUG substrate has found extensive use in automated ELISA type assay systems. Abcam’s FACS Blue LacZ beta Galactosidase detection kit (ab189815) is especially useful for dual-labeling experiments where the cells to be analyzed are also labeled with a fluorescein based probe (FITC-labeled antibody, fluorescein-based substrate, etc.).
Emission: 460 nm.
Excitation: 390 nm.
One of the most common reporter genes used in molecular biology applications is the E. coli lacZ gene that codes for an active subunit of β-galactosidase in vivo. Since this enzyme is generally absent in normal mammalian, yeast, some bacterial and even plant cells, it can be detected at very low levels, and since the enzyme has a wide substrate specificity, monitoring lacZ expression (and therefore co-expressed genes or promoter efficiency) has become routine to the point of detection of as few as 5 copies of β-galactosidase per cell by FACS analysis.
Abcam’s FACS Blue LacZ beta Galactosidase detection kit (ab189815) provides reagents and protocol to perform up to 500 tests (10 x 96 well microtitre plates).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 500 tests Inhibitor 1 x 1ml Reference Standard 1 x 0.5ml Substrate Reagent 1 x 0.5ml
RelevanceBeta galactosidase is a hydrolase enzyme that cleaves beta-linked terminal galactosyl residues from gangliosides, glycoproteins, and glycosaminoglycans. Beta galactosidase is an essential enzyme in the human body. Deficiencies in the protein can result in galactosialidosis or Morquio B syndrome. Senescent cells display senescence-associated expression of beta galactosidase activity.
Cellular localizationIsoform 1: Lysosome. Isoform 2: Cytoplasm, perinuclear region. Note=Localized to the perinuclear area of the cytoplasm but not to lysosomes.
- Acid beta galactosidase
- Beta galactosidase 1
ab189815 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Timraz SB et al. In-depth evaluation of commercially available human vascular smooth muscle cells phenotype: Implications for vascular tissue engineering. Exp Cell Res 343:168-76 (2016). PubMed: 27079869
- Jan TA et al. Profiling Specific Inner Ear Cell Types Using Cell Sorting Techniques. Methods Mol Biol 1427:431-45 (2016). PubMed: 27259940
- Jan TA et al. Isolating LacZ-expressing cells from mouse inner ear tissues using flow cytometry. J Vis Exp N/A:e3432 (2011). PubMed: 22217925
- Kalani MY et al. Wnt-mediated self-renewal of neural stem/progenitor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16970-5 (2008). PubMed: 18957545
- Heidkamp MC et al. PYK2 regulates SERCA2 gene expression in neonatal rat ventricular myocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 289:C471-82 (2005). PubMed: 15829561