Key features and details
- Potent mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler
- CAS Number: 370-86-5
- Soluble in DMSO to 100 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameFCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler
DescriptionPotent mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler
Potent mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (IC50 = 20 nM). Disrupts ATP synthesis by transporting protons across mitochondrial inner membranes. Depolarises mitochondrial membrane potential.
Chemical nameCarbonyl cyanide 4-(trifluoromethoxy)phenylhydrazone
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
2D chemical structure image of ab120081, FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler
HT29 cells were treated with the indicated compounds ((etoposide, 10 µM; gemcitabine 0.1 µM; paclitaxel 0.01 µM; PD901 1 µM, VX-680 0.2 µM) for 24 hours before analysis of oxygen consumption rate (OCR) and extracellular acidification rate (ECAR) using the Seahorse XF96 extracellular flux analyzer. Baseline rates (black) were determined at the indicated times before the addition of oligomycin (green) and then FCCP (red). Rate data are normalized to per-well cell number determined by post-analysis high-content imaging.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120081 has been referenced in 31 publications.
- Blancke Soares A et al. High-resolution spatiotemporal pHe and pO2 imaging in head and neck and oesophageal carcinoma cells. Cancer Metab 9:21 (2021). PubMed: 33947450
- Crivellari I et al. Impaired mitochondrial quality control in Rett Syndrome. Arch Biochem Biophys 700:108790 (2021). PubMed: 33549528
- Duong A et al. Characterization of mitochondrial health from human peripheral blood mononuclear cells to cerebral organoids derived from induced pluripotent stem cells. Sci Rep 11:4523 (2021). PubMed: 33633238
- Mazzoleni V et al. Staphylococcus aureus Panton-Valentine Leukocidin triggers an alternative NETosis process targeting mitochondria. FASEB J 35:e21167 (2021). PubMed: 33241563
- Tsilibary EC et al. Anthrax Protective Antigen 63 (PA63): Toxic Effects in Neural Cultures and Role in Gulf War Illness (GWI). Neurosci Insights 15:2633105520931966 (2020). PubMed: 32656531