Key features and details
- High affinity Ca2+ selective fluorescent indicator
- CAS Number: 108964-32-5
- Purity: > 95%
- Soluble in DMSO to 10 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameFura-2 AM, Ca2+ selective fluorescent indicator
DescriptionHigh affinity Ca2+ selective fluorescent indicator
- Fura 2 acetoxymethyl ester
High affinity Ca2+ selective fluorescent indicator (Kd = 145 nM). Rapidly metabolized by cytoplasmic esterases leading to the active dye Fura 2. Cell-permeable. Excitation spectrum dependent on [Ca2+]i. Ex340/380/Em505.
1 unit = 50 μg
- 1 mg - 1 x 1 mg vial
- 20 units - 20 x 50 µg vials
- 10 units - 10 x 50 µg vials
- 50 µg - 1 x 50 µg vial
Chemical name2-[6-[Bis[2-[(acetyloxy)methoxy]-2-oxoethyl]amino]-5-[2-[2-[bis[2-[(acetyloxy)methoxy]-2-oxoethyl]amino]-5-methylphenoxy]ethoxy]-2-benzofuranyl]-5-oxazolecarboxylic acid (acetyloxy)methyl ester
Storage instructionsShipped at Room Temperature. Store at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 10 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Research Area
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Ca2+ signaling
- Ionophores, Indicators & Chelators
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120873 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
2D chemical structure image of ab120873, Fura-2 AM, Ca2+ selective fluorescent indicator
Direct comparison of Abcam and competitor’s Fura-2 AM. RAW 264.7 cells were loaded with 2 µM of Fura-2 AM from Abcam (ab120873) and competitor’s in a DMSO/ HBSS solution for 30 minutes at room temperature and in the dark. After performing two washes with pre-warmed HBSS the cells were further incubated for 30 minutes at 37°C in the dark. Finally, washes with pre-warmed HBSS were performed and the live cells were imaged on a confocal microscope (using the same exposure settings): excitation laser = 405nm, emission gate center = 519nm.
Direct comparison of Abcam and competitor’s Fura-2 AM. RAW 264.7 cells were loaded with different concentrations of Fura-2 AM from Abcam (ab120873) and competitor’s in a DMSO/ HBSS solution for 30 minutes at room temperature and in the dark. After performing two washes with pre-warmed HBSS the cells were further incubated for 30 minutes at 37°C in the dark. Finally, washes with pre-warmed HBSS were performed and the live cells were imaged on a confocal microscope (using the same exposure settings): excitation laser = 405nm, emission gate center = 519nm.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120873 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Triantafilou M et al. Human rhinovirus promotes STING trafficking to replication organelles to promote viral replication. Nat Commun 13:1406 (2022). PubMed: 35301296
- Pavez-Giani MG et al. ATPase Inhibitory Factor-1 Disrupts Mitochondrial Ca2+ Handling and Promotes Pathological Cardiac Hypertrophy through CaMKIId. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33922643
- Li D et al. Sulforaphane Activates a lysosome-dependent transcriptional program to mitigate oxidative stress. Autophagy 17:872-887 (2021). PubMed: 32138578
- Maguire E et al. PIP2 depletion and altered endocytosis caused by expression of Alzheimer's disease-protective variant PLC?2 R522. EMBO J 40:e105603 (2021). PubMed: 34254352
- Pang W et al. Pancreatic cancer-derived exosomal microRNA-19a induces ß-cell dysfunction by targeting ADCY1 and EPAC2. Int J Biol Sci 17:3622-3633 (2021). PubMed: 34512170
- Zhang F et al. Molecular mechanisms of caffeine-mediated intestinal epithelial ion transports. Br J Pharmacol 176:1700-1716 (2019). PubMed: 30808064
- Yang Y et al. Improved calcium sensor GCaMP-X overcomes the calcium channel perturbations induced by the calmodulin in GCaMP. Nat Commun 9:1504 (2018). Fluorescent Cell Imaging . PubMed: 29666364
- Han H et al. Chalcomoracin is a potent anticancer agent acting through triggering Oxidative stress via a mitophagy- and paraptosis-dependent mechanism. Sci Rep 8:9566 (2018). PubMed: 29934599