Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 10 nmol/well
Product nameGalactose Assay Kit
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity< 10 nmol/well
Assay time0h 40m
Galactose Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab83382) provides a simple and convenient method for direct measurement of galactose levels in various biological samples such as serum, plasma and other body fluids, as well as food and growth media. In this assay, oxidation of galactose generates a product that reacts with the galactose probe to produce color (OD570nm) or fluorescence (Ex/Em 535/587 nm). Liquid samples can be tested directly without purification. The assay is fast, convenient and sensitive. It can also be used as a high throughput assay.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K621 Galactose Colorimetric/Fluorometric Assay Kit. K621-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab83382.
Galactose (C6H12O6 MW: 180.16 g/mol) is one of the major naturally occurring sugars, a monosaccharide that differs from glucose only by the configuration of the hydroxyl group at the carbon-4 position. Often present as an anomeric mixture of α-D-galactose and β-D-galactose, this monosaccharide exists abundantly in milk, dairy products and many other food types such as fruits and vegetables.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Galactose Assay Buffer WM, 1 x 25ml Galactose Enzyme Mix (Lyophilized) Green 1 vial Galactose Probe (DMSO solution) Red 1 x 0.2ml Galactose Standard (100 nmol/ul) Yellow 1 x 100µl HRP (Lyophilized) Purple 1 vial
RelevanceGalactose (C6H12O6 FW: 180.16) is one the major naturally occurring sugars, involved in many biological processes.
Galactose measured in tissue lysates showing quantity (nmol) per mg of extracted protein.
Protein concentration for samples varied from 7 mg/mL to 17 mg/mL. Samples were tested undiluted.
Galactose measured in cell lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln cells.
Samples with the concentration of 4e6 cells/mL were used. Samples were tested undiluted.
Fluorometric standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted.
Galactose levels measured in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per mL. Samples tested undiluted.
Example of Galactose standard curve obtained with ab83382
ab83382 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Chun J et al. Yeast Surface Display System for Facilitated Production and Application of Phage Endolysin. ACS Synth Biol 9:508-516 (2020). PubMed: 32119773
- Khamoui AV et al. Hepatic proteome analysis reveals altered mitochondrial metabolism and suppressed acyl-CoA synthetase-1 in colon-26 tumor-induced cachexia. Physiol Genomics 52:203-216 (2020). PubMed: 32146873
- Turpin DL et al. Intermittent Suckling in Combination with an Older Weaning Age Improves Growth, Feed Intake and Aspects of Gastrointestinal Tract Carbohydrate Absorption in Pigs after Weaning. Animals (Basel) 6:N/A (2016). PubMed: 27792138