Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to Gelsolin
- Suitable for: ICC/IF, IHC-P, WB
- Reacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
- Isotype: IgG
Product nameAnti-Gelsolin antibody
See all Gelsolin primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Gelsolin
Tested applicationsSuitable for: ICC/IF, IHC-P, WBmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Human
Synthetic peptide within Human Gelsolin aa 750 to the C-terminus (C terminal) conjugated to keyhole limpet haemocyanin. The exact sequence is proprietary.
(Peptide available as
- Recombinant Human Gelsolin plasma protein (ab114279) can be used as a positive control in WB. This antibody gave a positive signal in the following tissue lysates: Rat Kidney, Mouse Spleen, Rat Thymus
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
Concentration information loading...
PurityImmunogen affinity purified
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab74420 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|ICC/IF||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml.|
|IHC-P||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
|WB||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 86 kDa (predicted molecular weight: 86 kDa).|
FunctionCalcium-regulated, actin-modulating protein that binds to the plus (or barbed) ends of actin monomers or filaments, preventing monomer exchange (end-blocking or capping). It can promote the assembly of monomers into filaments (nucleation) as well as sever filaments already formed. Plays a role in ciliogenesis.
Tissue specificityPhagocytic cells, platelets, fibroblasts, nonmuscle cells, smooth and skeletal muscle cells.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in GSN are the cause of amyloidosis type 5 (AMYL5) [MIM:105120]; also known as familial amyloidosis Finnish type. AMYL5 is a hereditary generalized amyloidosis due to gelsolin amyloid deposition. It is typically characterized by cranial neuropathy and lattice corneal dystrophy. Most patients have modest involvement of internal organs, but severe systemic disease can develop in some individuals causing peripheral polyneuropathy, amyloid cardiomyopathy, and nephrotic syndrome leading to renal failure.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the villin/gelsolin family.
Contains 6 gelsolin-like repeats.
modificationsPhosphorylation on Tyr-86, Tyr-409, Tyr-465, Tyr-603 and Tyr-651 in vitro is induced in presence of phospholipids.
Cellular localizationCytoplasm > cytoskeleton and Secreted.
- Information by UniProt
- Actin depolymerizing factor antibody
- Actin-depolymerizing factor antibody
- ADF antibody
All lanes : Anti-Gelsolin antibody (ab74420) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 1 : Kidney (Rat) Tissue Lysate
Lane 2 : Spleen (Mouse) Tissue Lysate
Lane 3 : Thymus (Rat) Tissue Lysate
Lysates/proteins at 10 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat polyclonal to Rabbit IgG - H&L - Pre-Adsorbed (HRP) at 1/3000 dilution
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size: 86 kDa
Observed band size: 86 kDa
Additional bands at: 120 kDa, 140 kDa, 52 kDa. We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
Exposure time: 3 minutes
ICC/IF image of ab74420 stained PC12 cells. The cells were 4% PFA fixed (10 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab74420, 1µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was Alexa Fluor® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/1000 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM. This antibody also gave a positive result in 100% methanol fixed (5 min) PC12 cells at 1µg/ml.
ab74420 staining Gelsolin in human brain tissue by Immunohistochemistry (Formalin/PFA-fixed paraffin-embedded sections).
The black arrow indicates a gelsolin-positive Lewy body.
ab74420 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Jalali BM et al. Alterations in the distribution of actin and its binding proteins in the porcine endometrium during early pregnancy: Possible role in epithelial remodeling and embryo adhesion. Theriogenology 116:17-27 (2018). PubMed: 29763784
- Putinski C et al. Caspase Cleavage of Gelsolin Is an Inductive Cue for Pathologic Cardiac Hypertrophy. J Am Heart Assoc 7:e010404 (2018). PubMed: 30486716
- Suhara K et al. Fragmented gelsolins are increased in rheumatoid arthritis-associated interstitial lung disease with usual interstitial pneumonia pattern. Allergol Int 65:88-95 (2016). PubMed: 26666486
- Marín-Buera L et al. Differential proteomic profiling unveils new molecular mechanisms associated with mitochondrial complex III deficiency. J Proteomics 113:38-56 (2015). PubMed: 25239759
- Ge L et al. Circulating complexes of the vitamin D binding protein with G-actin induce lung inflammation by targeting endothelial cells. Immunobiology 219:198-207 (2014). PubMed: 24268110
- Maddens B et al. Chitinase-like proteins are candidate biomarkers for sepsis-induced acute kidney injury. Mol Cell Proteomics : (2012). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 22233884
- Khositseth S et al. Quantitative protein and mRNA profiling shows selective post-transcriptional control of protein expression by vasopressin in kidney cells. Mol Cell Proteomics 10:M110.004036 (2011). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 20940332
- Croker BA et al. Neutrophils require SHP1 to regulate IL-1beta production and prevent inflammatory skin disease. J Immunol 186:1131-9 (2011). PubMed: 21160041
- Welander H et al. Gelsolin co-occurs with Lewy bodies in vivo and accelerates a-synuclein aggregation in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 412:32-8 (2011). IHC-P ; Human . PubMed: 21798243
- Liu H et al. Cytochrome P450 2B1 Mediates Complement-dependent Sublytic Injury in a Model of Membranous Nephropathy. J Biol Chem 285:40901-10 (2010). WB ; Rat . PubMed: 20947506