Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 2 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
- Sensitivity: 0.05 nmol/well
Product nameGlucose Uptake Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
See all Glucose kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Sensitivity= 0.05 nmol/well
Assay time2h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Glucose Uptake Assay Kit (Fluorometric) ab136956 is a highly sensitive and easy to use non-radioactive kit which can detect glucose uptake as low as 50 pmol/well in a variety of cell types.
2-deoxyglucose (2-DG) is used in glucose uptake assay protocols because of its structural similarity to glucose. 2-DG is taken up by glucose transporters and metabolized to 2-DG-6-phosphate (2-DG6P). 2-DG6P cannot be further metabolized, and thus accumulates within cells. The accumulated 2-DG6P is directly proportional to 2-DG (or glucose) uptake by cells. In this assay, the accumulated 2-DG6P is enzymatically oxidized and coupled to a probe, which generates fluorescence in the presence of NADPH.
Glucose uptake assay protocol summary:
- prepare cells with suitable glucose starvation / uptake stimulation depending on experimental set-up
- add 2-DG to cells and incubate for 20 mins at 37ºC
- wash cells with PBS to remove exogenous 2-DG
- lyse cells with extraction buffer and repeated pipetting
- freeze/thaw lysates and heat at 85ºC for 40 min
- cool on ice for 5 min
- add neutralizing buffer, spin and retain supernatant
- add supernatants and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 40 min at 37ºC
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K666 Glucose Uptake Fluorometric Assay Kit. K666-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab136956.
If you want a more sensitive assay, we recommend using Glucose Uptake Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab136955), which contains an amplification step that allows the kit to detect < 10 pmol/well.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2-Deoxyglucose Purple 1 x 1ml 2-DG Uptake Assay Buffer WM 1 x 10ml 2-DG6P Standard (Lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial Extraction Buffer NM 1 x 17ml Neutralizing Buffer Clear 1 x 1ml PicoProbe Blue 1 x 0.2ml
RelevanceGlucose (C6H12O6; FW: 180.16) is a ubiquitous energy source in most organisms, from bacteria to humans. The breakdown of carbohydrates produces mono- and disaccharides, most of which is glucose. Through glycolysis and TCA (citric acid cycle), glucose is oxidized to eventually form CO2 and water, generating the universal energy molecule ATP. Glucose is a primary source of energy for the brain and a critical component in the production of proteins and in lipid metabolism and therefore measurement of glucose level is a key diagnostic parameter for many metabolic disorders.
Glucose Uptake measured in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes; I = Insulin.
Standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
2-DG6P Standard curve (a) and 2-DG uptake in Human adipocytes (b) , HeLa Cells (c) and 3T3-L1 cells (d) respectively. I=Insulin; P=Phloretin.
Accumulated 2-DG6P is enzymatically oxidized and coupled to the picoprobe, which generates fluorescence in the presence of NADPH.
ab136956 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Liu C et al. RBP4 Is Associated With Insulin Resistance in Hyperuricemia-Induced Rats and Patients With Hyperuricemia. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 12:653819 (2021). PubMed: 34177800
- Mustroph J et al. Empagliflozin enhances human and murine cardiomyocyte glucose uptake by increased expression of GLUT1. Diabetologia 62:726-729 (2019). PubMed: 30694352
- Valzania L et al. Hypoxia-induced transcription factor signaling is essential for larval growth of the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 115:457-465 (2018). PubMed: 29298915
- Liu L et al. MiR-421 inhibits the malignant phenotype in glioma by directly targeting MEF2D. Am J Cancer Res 7:857-868 (2017). Human . PubMed: 28469958
- Cui S et al. MiR-520b inhibits the development of glioma by directly targeting MBD2. Am J Cancer Res 7:1528-1539 (2017). Functional Studies ; Human . PubMed: 28744402
- Wang G et al. Centrosomal Protein of 55 Regulates Glucose Metabolism, Proliferation and Apoptosis of Glioma Cells via the Akt/mTOR Signaling Pathway. J Cancer 7:1431-40 (2016). PubMed: 27471559