Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Platelets, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.5 mU/ml
Product nameGlutathione Peroxidase Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Glutathione Peroxidase kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Platelets, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time0h 40m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Glutathione Peroxidase Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab102530 can be used to quantitate the activity of all of the glutathione dependent peroxidases in plasma, erythrocyte lysates, tissue homogenates, and cell lysates.
In the glutathione peroxidase assay protocol, glutathione peroxidase (GPx) oxidizes GSH to produce GSSG as part of the reaction in which it reduces cumene hydroperoxide. Glutathione reductase (GR) then reduces the GSSG to produce GSH, and in the same reaction consumes NADPH. The decrease of NADPH (measured at OD=340 nm) is proportional to GPx activity.
The assay has a detection sensitivity of ~ 0.5 mU/ml of GPx in samples.
Glutathione peroxidase assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 15 min at room temp to deplete all GSSG in sample
- add cumene hydroperoxide
- analyze with microplate reader immediately, and after at least 5 min
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K762 Glutathione Peroxidase Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K762-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab102530.
The Glutathione Peroxidase (GPx, EC 22.214.171.124) family of enzymes plays and important role in the protection of organisms from oxidative damage. GPx converts reduced glutathione (GSH) to oxidized glutathione (GSSG) while reducing lipid hydroperoxides to their corresponding alcohols or free hydrogen peroxide to water.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Cumene Hydroperoxide Yellow 1 vial 20 vials Glutathione Brown 1 vial 20 vials Glutathione Reductase Green 1 vial 20 vials GPx Assay Buffer WM 1 x 50ml 20 x 50ml GPx Positive Control Red 1 vial 20 vials NADPH Blue 1 vial 20 vials
- Kits/ Lysates/ Other
- Cell Metabolism Kits
- Coenzyme and cofactor assay kits
- Glutathione assay kits
RelevanceGlutathione Peroxidase (GPx, EC 126.96.36.199) is an enzyme family with peroxidase activity, and plays important role in protecting of organisms from oxidative damage. It converts reduced glutathione (GSH) to oxidized glutathione (GSSG), to reduce lipid hydroperoxides to their corresponding alcohols, or reduce free hydrogen peroxide to water. Several isozymes have been found in different cellular locations and with different substrate specificity. Low levels of GPx have been correlated with free radical related disorders.
Scatter dot plots representing the levels of glutathione peroxidase (GPx) in brain tissue in different mice groups.
The effects of PCSE on the activity of GPX in a mouse UC model.
Standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
Glutathione Peroxidase Activity measured in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mL after 10 min of incubation. Samples diluted 1-27 fold.
Glutathione Peroxidase Activity measured in cell lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln cells after 10 min of incubation. Undiluted sample contained 2.5e6 cells per well. Samples were diluted 1-9 fold.
Tests example obtained using ab102530
ab102530 has been referenced in 52 publications.
- Kwon DA et al. Antioxidant and antifatigue effect of a standardized fraction (HemoHIM) from Angelica gigas, Cnidium officinale, and Paeonia lactiflora. Pharm Biol 59:391-400 (2021). PubMed: 33813987
- Hayman TJ et al. STING enhances cell death through regulation of reactive oxygen species and DNA damage. Nat Commun 12:2327 (2021). PubMed: 33875663
- Chen J et al. Inhibition of Acyl-CoA Synthetase Long-Chain Family Member 4 Facilitates Neurological Recovery After Stroke by Regulation Ferroptosis. Front Cell Neurosci 15:632354 (2021). PubMed: 33889074
- Krakowska-Sieprawska A et al. Promising Green Technology in Obtaining Functional Plant Preparations: Combined Enzyme-Assisted Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Flavonoids Isolation from Medicago Sativa Leaves. Materials (Basel) 14:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34064166
- El-Nobi G et al. Synbiotic Effects of Saccharomycescerevisiae, Mannan Oligosaccharides, and ß-Glucan on Innate Immunity, Antioxidant Status, and Disease Resistance of Nile Tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Antibiotics (Basel) 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34065896