Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/well
Product nameGlycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G3PDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 1 mU/well
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G3PDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab174095) is a product where G3PDH reacts with the substrate to forms an intermediate, which reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at 450 nm. The assay is simple, sensitive and rapid and can detect Glycerol-3-Phosphate dehydrogenase activity less than 1 mU/well.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (EC 184.108.40.206) is an important enzyme for lipid metabolism. It catalyzes the reversible conversion between dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glycerol-3-phosphate. GPDH plays multiple functions inside cells; it links carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, and provides electrons through the Glycerol-3-Phosphate Shuttle. When progenitor adipocytes differentiate into mature adipocytes, GPDH activity increases significantly. Analysis of glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase activity is crucial for the study of fatty acid metabolic pathways.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests GPDH Assay Buffer 1 x 27ml GPDH Positive Control 1 vial GPDH Probe 1 vial GPDH Substrate 1 vial NADH Standard 1 vial
- Glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase [NAD(+)], cytoplasmic
NADH measured in cell lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln cells after 30 min incubation time.
Samples with the concentration of 5e6 cells/mL were used. Samples were diluted 2-18 fold.
Standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
Measurement of Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase activity in 3T3-L1 pre- adipocyte (60 µg) and differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes (60 µg) using Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase activity (GPDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab174095). This is example data only.
ab174095 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Farr SA et al. Metformin Improves Learning and Memory in the SAMP8 Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis 68:1699-1710 (2019). PubMed: 30958364
- Edmunds LR et al. c-Myc and AMPK Control Cellular Energy Levels by Cooperatively Regulating Mitochondrial Structure and Function. PLoS One 10:e0134049 (2015). PubMed: 26230505
- Rocca A et al. Cerium oxide nanoparticles inhibit adipogenesis in rat mesenchymal stem cells: potential therapeutic implications. Pharm Res 31:2952-62 (2014). PubMed: 24805277