Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/well
Product nameGlycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G3PDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 1 mU/well
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G3PDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab174095) is a product where G3PDH reacts with the substrate to form an intermediate, which reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at 450 nm. The assay is simple, sensitive and rapid and can detect Glycerol-3-Phosphate dehydrogenase activity less than 1 mU/well.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K640 Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K640-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab174095.
Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (EC 18.104.22.168) is an important enzyme for lipid metabolism. It catalyzes the reversible conversion between dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glycerol-3-phosphate. GPDH plays multiple functions inside cells; it links carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, and provides electrons through the Glycerol-3-Phosphate Shuttle. When progenitor adipocytes differentiate into mature adipocytes, GPDH activity increases significantly. Analysis of glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase activity is crucial for the study of fatty acid metabolic pathways.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests GPDH Assay Buffer 1 x 27ml GPDH Positive Control 1 vial GPDH Probe 1 vial GPDH Substrate 1 vial NADH Standard 1 vial
- Glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase [NAD(+)], cytoplasmic
NADH measured in cell lysates showing quantity (nmol) per 1 mln cells after 30 min incubation time.
Samples with the concentration of 5e6 cells/mL were used. Samples were diluted 2-18 fold.
Standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted
Measurement of Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase activity in 3T3-L1 pre- adipocyte (60 µg) and differentiated 3T3-L1 adipocytes (60 µg) using Glycerol-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase activity (GPDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab174095). This is example data only.
ab174095 has been referenced in 3 publications.
- Farr SA et al. Metformin Improves Learning and Memory in the SAMP8 Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis 68:1699-1710 (2019). PubMed: 30958364
- Edmunds LR et al. c-Myc and AMPK Control Cellular Energy Levels by Cooperatively Regulating Mitochondrial Structure and Function. PLoS One 10:e0134049 (2015). PubMed: 26230505
- Rocca A et al. Cerium oxide nanoparticles inhibit adipogenesis in rat mesenchymal stem cells: potential therapeutic implications. Pharm Res 31:2952-62 (2014). PubMed: 24805277