Key features and details
- Translational protein synthesis inhibitor
- CAS Number: 26833-85-2
- Purity: > 95%
- Soluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Cephalotaxus harringtonia
Product nameHarringtonine, translational protein synthesis inhibitor
DescriptionTranslational protein synthesis inhibitor
Natural cephalotaxus alkaloid. Blocks protein synthesis through translation elongation inhibition. Immobilizes ribosomes following translation initiation to reveal footprints of initiation sites in vitro. Antitumor agent. Active in vivo.
Chemical name3-[4-Methyl (2R)-2-hydroxy-2-(3-hydroxy-3-methylbutyl)butanedioate]cephalotaxine
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. It is important to note that this product is reported to be light sensitive. Store In the Dark. Store under desiccating conditions.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab141941 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Chern T et al. Mutations in Hcfc1 and Ronin result in an inborn error of cobalamin metabolism and ribosomopathy. Nat Commun 13:134 (2022). PubMed: 35013307
- Cheng LC et al. Alternative 3' UTRs play a widespread role in translation-independent mRNA association with the endoplasmic reticulum. Cell Rep 36:109407 (2021). PubMed: 34289366
- Martinez TF et al. Accurate annotation of human protein-coding small open reading frames. Nat Chem Biol 16:458-468 (2020). PubMed: 31819274
- Takahashi K et al. Critical Roles of Translation Initiation and RNA Uridylation in Endogenous Retroviral Expression and Neural Differentiation in Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell Rep 31:107715 (2020). PubMed: 32492424
- Argüello RJ et al. SCENITH: A Flow Cytometry-Based Method to Functionally Profile Energy Metabolism with Single-Cell Resolution. Cell Metab 32:1063-1075.e7 (2020). PubMed: 33264598
- Argüello RJ et al. SunRiSE - measuring translation elongation at single-cell resolution by means of flow cytometry. J Cell Sci 131:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29700204
- Simsek D et al. The Mammalian Ribo-interactome Reveals Ribosome Functional Diversity and Heterogeneity. Cell 169:1051-1065.e18 (2017). PubMed: 28575669
- Tsokanos FF et al. eIF4A inactivates TORC1 in response to amino acid starvation. EMBO J 35:1058-76 (2016). PubMed: 26988032