Key features and details
- Mouse monoclonal [A74] to Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan 2/Perlecan
- Reacts with: Cow, Human
- Isotype: IgG1
Product nameAnti-Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan 2/Perlecan antibody [A74]
See all Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan 2/Perlecan primary antibodies
DescriptionMouse monoclonal [A74] to Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan 2/Perlecan
Specificityab23418 is highly specific for perlecan. There is no evidence for cross-reactivity with other connective tissue proteins (vitronectin, fibronectin, elastin, collagen, laminin).
Species reactivityReacts with: Cow, Human
Tissue, cells or virus corresponding to Cow Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan 2/Perlecan.
EpitopeEpitope is located in domain V of Perlecan.
The Life Science industry has been in the grips of a reproducibility crisis for a number of years. Abcam is leading the way in addressing this with our range of recombinant monoclonal antibodies and knockout edited cell lines for gold-standard validation. Please check that this product meets your needs before purchasing.
If you have any questions, special requirements or concerns, please send us an inquiry and/or contact our Support team ahead of purchase. Recommended alternatives for this product can be found below, along with publications, customer reviews and Q&As
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.097% Sodium azide
Constituents: 0.0268% PBS, 2.9% Sodium chloride
Concentration information loading...
PurityProtein G purified
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Lipid and lipoprotein metabolism
- Lipid metabolism
FunctionIntegral component of basement membranes. Component of the glomerular basement membrane (GBM), responsible for the fixed negative electrostatic membrane charge, and which provides a barrier which is both size- and charge-selective. It serves as an attachment substrate for cells. Plays essential roles in vascularization. Critical for normal heart development and for regulating the vascular response to injury. Also required for avascular cartilage development.
Endorepellin in an anti-angiogenic and anti-tumor peptide that inhibits endothelial cell migration, collagen-induced endothelial tube morphogenesis and blood vessel growth in the chorioallantoic membrane. Blocks endothelial cell adhesion to fibronectin and type I collagen. Anti-tumor agent in neovascularization. Interaction with its ligand, integrin alpha2/beta1, is required for the anti-angiogenic properties. Evokes a reduction in phosphorylation of receptor tyrosine kinases via alpha2/beta1 integrin-mediated activation of the tyrosine phosphatase, PTPN6.
The LG3 peptide has anti-angiogenic properties that require binding of calcium ions for full activity.
Tissue specificityFound in the basement membranes.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in HSPG2 are the cause of Schwartz-Jampel syndrome (SJS1) [MIM:255800]; a rare autosomal recessive disorder characterized by permanent myotonia (prolonged failure of muscle relaxation) and skeletal dysplasia, resulting in reduced stature, kyphoscoliosis, bowing of the diaphyses and irregular epiphyses.
Defects in HSPG2 are the cause of dyssegmental dysplasia Silverman-Handmaker type (DDSH) [MIM:224410]. The dyssegmental dysplasias are rare, autosomal recessive skeletal dysplasias with anisospondyly and micromelia. There are two recognized types: the severe, lethal DDSH and the milder Rolland-Desbuquois form. Individuals with DDSH also have a flat face, micrognathia, cleft palate and reduced joint mobility, and frequently have an encephalocoele. The endochondral growth plate is short, the calcospherites (which are spherical calcium-phosphorus crystals produced by hypertrophic chondrocytes) are unfused, and there is mucoid degeneration of the resting cartilage.
Sequence similaritiesContains 4 EGF-like domains.
Contains 22 Ig-like C2-type (immunoglobulin-like) domains.
Contains 11 laminin EGF-like domains.
Contains 3 laminin G-like domains.
Contains 3 laminin IV type A domains.
Contains 4 LDL-receptor class A domains.
Contains 1 SEA domain.
modificationsProteolytic processing produces the C-terminal angiogenic peptide, endorepellin. This peptide can be further processed to produce the LG3 peptide.
N- and O-glycosylated; contains three heparan sulfate chains. The LG3 peptide contains at least three and up to five potential O-glycosylation sites but no N-glycosylation.
Cellular localizationSecreted > extracellular space > extracellular matrix > basement membrane.
- Information by UniProt
- Basement membrane specific heparan sulfate proteoglycan core protein antibody
- Endorepellin (domain V region) antibody
- Heparan sulfate proteoglycan of basement membrane antibody
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab23418 has been referenced in 12 publications.
- Petrosyan A et al. A glomerulus-on-a-chip to recapitulate the human glomerular filtration barrier. Nat Commun 10:3656 (2019). PubMed: 31409793
- Tang F et al. Cell surface chondroitin sulphate proteoglycan 4 (CSPG4) binds to the basement membrane heparan sulphate proteoglycan, perlecan, and is involved in cell adhesion. J Biochem 163:399-412 (2018). PubMed: 29462330
- McGarrity S et al. Metabolic systems analysis of LPS induced endothelial dysfunction applied to sepsis patient stratification. Sci Rep 8:6811 (2018). WB ; Human . PubMed: 29717213
- Blache U et al. Notch-inducing hydrogels reveal a perivascular switch of mesenchymal stem cell fate. EMBO Rep 19:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29967223
- Pill K et al. Microvascular Networks From Endothelial Cells and Mesenchymal Stromal Cells From Adipose Tissue and Bone Marrow: A Comparison. Front Bioeng Biotechnol 6:156 (2018). PubMed: 30410879