Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to Histone H4
- Suitable for: WB, Flow Cyt
- Reacts with: Cow, Human, Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Isotype: IgG
Product nameAnti-Histone H4 antibody
See all Histone H4 primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Histone H4
SpecificityWe recommend ab16483 as a suitable alternative to ab10156 as it was made using the same immunogen.
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WB, Flow Cytmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Cow, Human, Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Recombinant full length protein corresponding to Saccharomyces cerevisiae Histone H4 aa 1 to the C-terminus.
Database link: P02309
- Calf thymus histone lysate and Hela histone lysate.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
Concentration information loading...
PurityImmunogen affinity purified
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab16483 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 14 kDa (predicted molecular weight: 11 kDa).|
|Flow Cyt||Use at an assay dependent concentration. PubMed: 20709786
ab171870 - Rabbit polyclonal IgG, is suitable for use as an isotype control with this antibody.
FunctionCore component of nucleosome. Nucleosomes wrap and compact DNA into chromatin, limiting DNA accessibility to the cellular machineries which require DNA as a template. Histones thereby play a central role in transcription regulation, DNA repair, DNA replication and chromosomal stability. DNA accessibility is regulated via a complex set of post-translational modifications of histones, also called histone code, and nucleosome remodeling.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the histone H4 family.
modificationsAcetylation at Lys-6 (H4K5ac), Lys-9 (H4K8ac), Lys-13 (H4K12ac) and Lys-17 (H4K16ac) occurs in coding regions of the genome but not in heterochromatin.
Citrullination at Arg-4 (H4R3ci) by PADI4 impairs methylation.
Monomethylation and asymmetric dimethylation at Arg-4 (H4R3me1 and H4R3me2a, respectively) by PRMT1 favors acetylation at Lys-9 (H4K8ac) and Lys-13 (H4K12ac). Demethylation is performed by JMJD6. Symmetric dimethylation on Arg-4 (H4R3me2s) by the PRDM1/PRMT5 complex may play a crucial role in the germ-cell lineage.
Monomethylated, dimethylated or trimethylated at Lys-21 (H4K20me1, H4K20me2, H4K20me3). Monomethylation is performed by SET8. Trimethylation is performed by SUV420H1 and SUV420H2 and induces gene silencing.
Ubiquitinated by the CUL4-DDB-RBX1 complex in response to ultraviolet irradiation. This may weaken the interaction between histones and DNA and facilitate DNA accessibility to repair proteins. Monoubiquitinated at Lys-92 of histone H4 (H4K91ub1) in response to DNA damage. The exact role of H4K91ub1 in DNA damage response is still unclear but it may function as a licensing signal for additional histone H4 post-translational modifications such as H4 Lys-21 methylation (H4K20me).
Sumoylated, which is associated with transcriptional repression.
Cellular localizationNucleus. Chromosome.
- Information by UniProt
- dJ160A22.1 antibody
- dJ160A22.2 antibody
- dJ221C16.1 antibody
All lanes : Anti-Histone H4 antibody (ab16483) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 1 : Calf Thymus Histone lysate at 0.5 µg
Lane 2 : HeLa Histone Lysate at 2.5 µg
Lane 3 : Recombinant Histone H4 at 1 µg
All lanes : Alexa Fluor Goat polyclonal to Rabbit IgG at 1/10000 dilution
Predicted band size: 11 kDa
Observed band size: 14 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
ab16483 detects a band of approximately 14 kDa in Calf thymus histone prep, HeLa histone prep and recombinant Histone H4. This is slightly larger than the predicted molecular weight according to Swissprot (11 kDa), however we are confident that ab16483 is recognising Histone H4.
ab16483 has been referenced in 11 publications.
- Khan MA et al. Regulating NETosis: Increasing pH Promotes NADPH Oxidase-Dependent NETosis. Front Med (Lausanne) 5:19 (2018). PubMed: 29487850
- Román AC et al. Histone H4 acetylation regulates behavioral inter-individual variability in zebrafish. Genome Biol 19:55 (2018). PubMed: 29695303
- Vadla R & Haldar D Mammalian target of rapamycin complex 2 (mTORC2) controls glycolytic gene expression by regulating Histone H3 Lysine 56 acetylation. Cell Cycle 17:110-123 (2018). PubMed: 29143563
- Sisquella X et al. Malaria parasite DNA-harbouring vesicles activate cytosolic immune sensors. Nat Commun 8:1985 (2017). PubMed: 29215015
- Naffah de Souza C et al. Alkaline pH Promotes NADPH Oxidase-Independent Neutrophil Extracellular Trap Formation: A Matter of Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and Citrullination and Cleavage of Histone. Front Immunol 8:1849 (2017). PubMed: 29375550