Key features and details
- One-wash 90 minute protocol
- Sensitivity: 1052 pg/ml
- Range: 3.98 ng/ml - 255 ng/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cit plasma, EDTA Plasma, Hep Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman ACE2 ELISA Kit
See all ACE2 kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% extract 8 2.3% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% extract 3 3.2%
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Cell culture media, Hep Plasma, EDTA Plasma, Cit plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Range3.98 ng/ml - 255 ng/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Urine 88 85% - 89% Serum 99 % - % Tissue Extracts 104 100% - 108% Cell culture media 112 110% - 116% Hep Plasma 82 81% - 84% EDTA Plasma 91 90% - 92% Cit plasma 99 98% - 100%
Assay time1h 30m
Assay durationOne step assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Human ACE2 ELISA Kit (ab235649) is a single-wash 90 min sandwich ELISA designed for the quantitative measurement of native ACE2 protein in tissue extracts and urine. It uses our proprietary SimpleStep ELISA® technology. Quantitate Human ACE2 with 1052 pg/ml sensitivity.
Note: Plasma, serum, and cell culture media samples were validated with spiked recombinant ACE2. Neat serum from ten individual healthy human female/male donors was measured in duplicate and all values were below the detectable range of the assay.
SimpleStep ELISA® technology employs capture antibodies conjugated to an affinity tag that is recognized by the monoclonal antibody used to coat our SimpleStep ELISA® plates. This approach to sandwich ELISA allows the formation of the antibody-analyte sandwich complex in a single step, significantly reducing assay time. See the SimpleStep ELISA® protocol summary in the image section for further details. Our SimpleStep ELISA® technology provides several benefits:
- Single-wash protocol reduces assay time to 90 minutes or less
- High sensitivity, specificity and reproducibility from superior antibodies
- Fully validated in biological samples
- 96-wells plate breakable into 12 x 8 wells strips
A 384-well SimpleStep ELISA® microplate (ab203359) is available to use as an alternative to the 96-well microplate provided with SimpleStep ELISA® kits.
ACE2 is a key enzyme in the renin-angiotensin system which regulates blood pressure. Specifically, ACE2 cleaves the terminal nonapeptide from angiotensin I or the terminal septapeptide from angiotensin II to create angiotensin[1-9] and angiotensin[1-7], respectively. The produced peptides work to oppose the effects of angiotensin II and act as a vasodilator. This enzyme is currently under investigation as a potential target for reducing instances of heart failure.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
PlatformPre-coated microplate (12 x 8 well strips)
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 10X Human ACE2 Capture Antibody 1 x 600µl 10X Human ACE2 Detector Antibody 1 x 600µl 10X Wash Buffer PT (ab206977) 1 x 20ml 50X Cell Extraction Enhancer Solution (ab193971) 1 x 1ml 5X Cell Extraction Buffer PTR (ab193970) 1 x 10ml Antibody Diluent 4BI 1 x 6ml Human ACE2 Lyophilized Recombinant Protein 2 vials Plate Seals 1 unit Sample Diluent NS (ab193972) 1 x 12ml SimpleStep Pre-Coated 96-Well Microplate (ab206978) 1 unit Stop Solution 1 x 12ml TMB Development Solution 1 x 12ml
FunctionCarboxypeptidase which converts angiotensin I to angiotensin 1-9, a peptide of unknown function, and angiotensin II to angiotensin 1-7, a vasodilator. Also able to hydrolyze apelin-13 and dynorphin-13 with high efficiency. May be an important regulator of heart function. In case of human coronaviruses SARS and HCoV-NL63 infections, serve as functional receptor for the spike glycoprotein of both coronaviruses.
Tissue specificityExpressed in endothelial cells from small and large arteries, and in arterial smooth muscle cells. Expressed in lung alveolar epithelial cells, enterocytes of the small intestine, Leydig cells and Sertoli cells (at protein level). Expressed in heart, kidney, testis, and gastrointestinal system.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the peptidase M2 family.
modificationsN-glycosylation on Asn-90 may limit SARS infectivity.
Cellular localizationSecreted and Cell membrane.
- Information by UniProt
- ACE 2
- ACE related carboxypeptidase
- ACE-related carboxypeptidase
SimpleStep ELISA technology allows the formation of the antibody-antigen complex in one single step, reducing assay time to 90 minutes. Add samples or standards and antibody mix to wells all at once, incubate, wash, and add your final substrate. See protocol for a detailed step-by-step guide.
Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed.
The concentrations of ACE2 were measured in duplicates, interpolated from the ACE2 standard curves and corrected for sample dilution. Undiluted samples are as follows: urine 50%. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean ACE2 concentration was determined to be 75.24 ng/mL in urine.
The concentrations of ACE2 were measured in duplicate and interpolated from the ACE2 standard curve and corrected for sample dilution. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean ACE2 concentration was determined to be 26 ng/mL in lung extract, 31 ng/mL in heart extract, 115 ng/mL in fetal intestine, 94 ng/mL in kidney, and 146 ng/mL in testes extract.
To learn more about the advantages of recombinant antibodies see here.
ab235649 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Takahashi Y et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitors suppress ACE2 and ABO simultaneously, suggesting a preventive potential against COVID-19. Sci Rep 11:3379 (2021). PubMed: 33564039
- Wang C et al. Membrane Nanoparticles Derived from ACE2-Rich Cells Block SARS-CoV-2 Infection. ACS Nano 15:6340-6351 (2021). PubMed: 33734675
- Maggi F et al. Nicotine upregulates ACE2 expression and increases competence for SARS-CoV-2 in human pneumocytes. ERJ Open Res 7:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33850935
- Higuchi Y et al. Engineered ACE2 receptor therapy overcomes mutational escape of SARS-CoV-2. Nat Commun 12:3802 (2021). PubMed: 34155214
- Russo P et al. COVID-19 and smoking: is nicotine the hidden link? Eur Respir J 55:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32341101
- Li S et al. Exploring the Demographics and Clinical Characteristics Related to the Expression of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme 2, a Receptor of SARS-CoV-2. Front Med (Lausanne) 7:530 (2020). PubMed: 32974373
- Cocozza F et al. Extracellular vesicles containing ACE2 efficiently prevent infection by SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein-containing virus. J Extracell Vesicles 10:e12050 (2020). PubMed: 33391636