Product nameHuman ADAR (ADAR1) knockout HEK293T cell line
See all ADAR1 lysates
Parental Cell LineHEK293T
Mutation descriptionKnockout achieved by using CRISPR/Cas9, 17 bp deletion in exon 2 and 1 bp insertion in exon 2
Knockout validationSanger Sequencing, Western Blot (WB)
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WBmore details
Recommended control: Human wild-type HEK293T cell line (ab255449). Please note a wild-type cell line is not automatically included with a knockout cell line order, if required please add recommended wild-type cell line at no additional cost using the code WILDTYPE-TMTK1.
Cryopreservation cell medium: Cell Freezing Medium-DMSO Serum free media, contains 8.7% DMSO in MEM supplemented with methyl cellulose.
Culture medium: DMEM (High Glucose) + 10% FBS
Initial handling guidelines: Upon arrival, the vial should be stored in liquid nitrogen vapor phase and not at -80ºC. Storage at -80ºC may result in loss of viability.
1. Thaw the vial in 37ºC water bath approximately 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer the cell suspension (0.8 ml) to a 15 ml/50 ml conical sterile polypropylene centrifuge tube containing 8.4 ml pre-warmed culture medium, wash vial with an additional 0.8 ml culture medium (total volume 10 ml) to collect remaining cells, and centrifuge at 201 x g (rcf) for 5 minutes at room temperature. 10 ml represents minimum recommended dilution. 20 ml represents maximum recommended dilution.
3. Resuspend the cell pellet in 5 ml pre-warmed culture medium and count using a haemocytometer (Click here to view haemocytometer protocol) or alternative cell counting method. Based on cell count, seed cells in an appropriate cell culture flask at a density of 2x104 cells/cm2. This should allow for confluency within 48 hours. Seeding density is given as a guide only and should be scaled to align with individual lab schedules.
4. Incubate the culture at 37ºC incubator with 5% CO2. Cultures should be monitored daily.
- All seeding densities should be based on cell counts gained by established methods.
- A guide seeding density of 2x104 cells/cm2 is recommended for confluency (80-90% confluence) within 48 hours.
- A partial media change 24 hours prior to subculture may be helpful to encourage growth, if required.
- Cells should be passaged when they have achieved 80-90% confluence.
This product is subject to limited use licenses from The Broad Institute, ERS Genomics Limited and Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC, and is developed with patented technology. For full details of the licenses and patents please refer to our limited use license and patent pages.
Number of cells1 x 106 cells/vial, 1 mL
STR AnalysisAmelogenin X D5S818: 8, 9 D13S317: 12, 14 D7S820: 11 D16S539: 9, 13 vWA: 16, 19 TH01: 7, 9.3 TPOX: 11 CSF1PO: 11, 12
Antibiotic resistancePuromycin 1.00µg/ml
Storage instructionsShipped on Dry Ice. Store in liquid nitrogen.
Storage bufferConstituents: 8.7% DMSO, 2% Cellulose, methyl ether
FunctionConverts multiple adenosines to inosines and creates I/U mismatched base pairs in double-helical RNA substrates without apparent sequence specificity. Has been found to modify more frequently adenosines in AU-rich regions, probably due to the relative ease of melting A/U base pairs as compared to G/C pairs. Functions to modify viral RNA genomes and may be responsible for hypermutation of certain negative-stranded viruses. Edits the messenger RNAs for glutamate receptor (GLUR) subunits by site-selective adenosine deamination. Produces low-level editing at the GLUR-B Q/R site, but edits efficiently at the R/G site and HOTSPOT1. Binds to short interfering RNAs (siRNA) without editing them and suppresses siRNA-mediated RNA interference. Binds to ILF3/NF90 and up-regulates ILF3-mediated gene expression.
Tissue specificityUbiquitously expressed, highest levels were found in brain and lung.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in ADAR are a cause of dyschromatosis symmetrical hereditaria (DSH) [MIM:127400]; also known as reticulate acropigmentation of Dohi. DSH is a pigmentary genodermatosis of autosomal dominant inheritance characterized by a mixture of hyperpigmented and hypopigmented macules distributed on the dorsal parts of the hands and feet.
Sequence similaritiesContains 1 A to I editase domain.
Contains 2 DRADA repeats.
Contains 3 DRBM (double-stranded RNA-binding) domains.
modificationsSumoylation reduces RNA-editing activity.
Cellular localizationCytoplasm. Nucleus > nucleolus. Isoform 1 is found predominantly in cytoplasm but appears to shuttle between the cytoplasm and nucleus. Isoform 5 is found exclusively in the nucleolus.
- Information by UniProt
KO cell lysates
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab266846 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use at an assay dependent concentration. Predicted molecular weight: 136 kDa.|
Allele-1: 17 bp deletion in exon2
All lanes : Anti-ADAR1 antibody [EPR7033] (ab126745) at 1/1000 dilution
Lane 1 : Wild-type HEK293T cell lysate
Lane 2 : ADAR knockout HEK293T cell lysate
Lane 3 : HeLa cell lysate
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) at 1/10000 dilution
Predicted band size: 136 kDa
Observed band size: 130 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
ab126745 Anti-ADAR1 antibody [EPR7033] was shown to specifically react with ADAR1 in wild-type HEK293T cells. Loss of signal was observed when knockout cell line ab266846 (knockout cell lysate ab257131) was used. Wild-type and ADAR1 knockout samples were subjected to SDS-PAGE. ab126745 and Anti-GAPDH antibody [6C5] - Loading Control (ab8245) were incubated overnight at 4°C at 1 in 1000 dilution and 1 in 20000 dilution respectively. Blots were developed with Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) and Goat anti-Mouse IgG H&L (IRDye® 680RD) preadsorbed (ab216776) secondary antibodies at 1 in 20000 dilution for 1 hour at room temperature before imaging.
Allele-2: 1 bp insertion in exon 2.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab266846 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.