Product nameHuman ATF6 knockout HeLa cell line
Parental Cell LineHeLa
Mutation descriptionKnockout achieved by using CRISPR/Cas9, 17 bp deletion in exon 6 and 25 bp deletion in exon 6 and 4 bp deletion in exon 6
Knockout validationSanger Sequencing, Western Blot (WB)
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WBmore details
Recommended control: Human wild-type HeLa cell line (ab255928). Please note a wild-type cell line is not automatically included with a knockout cell line order, if required please add recommended wild-type cell line at no additional cost using the code WILDTYPE-TMTK1.
Cryopreservation cell medium: Cell Freezing Medium-DMSO Serum free media, contains 8.7% DMSO in MEM supplemented with methyl cellulose.
Culture medium: DMEM (High Glucose) + 10% FBS
Initial handling guidelines: Upon arrival, the vial should be stored in liquid nitrogen vapor phase and not at -80ºC. Storage at -80ºC may result in loss of viability.
1. Thaw the vial in 37ºC water bath approximately 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer the cell suspension (0.8 ml) to a 15 ml/50 ml conical sterile polypropylene centrifuge tube containing 8.4 ml pre-warmed culture medium, wash vial with an additional 0.8 ml culture medium (total volume 10 ml) to collect remaining cells, and centrifuge at 201 x g (rcf) for 5 minutes at room temperature. 10 ml represents minimum recommended dilution. 20 ml represents maximum recommended dilution.
3. Resuspend the cell pellet in 5 ml pre-warmed culture medium and count using a haemocytometer (Click here to view haemocytometer protocol) or alternative cell counting method. Based on cell count, seed cells in an appropriate cell culture flask at a density of 2x104 cells/cm2. This should allow for confluency within 48 hours. Seeding density is given as a guide only and should be scaled to align with individual lab schedules.
4. Incubate the culture at 37ºC incubator with 5% CO2. Cultures should be monitored daily.
- All seeding densities should be based on cell counts gained by established methods.
- A guide seeding density of 2x104 cells/cm2 is recommended for confluency (80-90% confluence) within 48 hours.
- A partial media change 24 hours prior to subculture may be helpful to encourage growth, if required.
- Cells should be passaged when they have achieved 80-90% confluence.
This product is subject to limited use licenses from The Broad Institute and ERS Genomics Limited, and is developed with patented technology. For full details of the limited use licenses and relevant patents please refer to our limited use license and patent pages.
Number of cells1 x 106 cells/vial, 1 mL
STR AnalysisAmelogenin X D5S818: 11, 12 D13S317: 12, 13.3 D7S820: 8, 12 D16S539: 9, 10 vWA: 16, 18 TH01: 7 TPOX: 8,12 CSF1PO: 9, 10
Antibiotic resistancePuromycin 1.00µg/ml
Storage instructionsShipped on Dry Ice. Store in liquid nitrogen.
Storage bufferConstituents: 8.7% DMSO, 2% Cellulose, methyl ether
FunctionTranscription factor that acts during endoplasmic reticulum stress by activating unfolded protein response target genes. Binds DNA on the 5'-CCAC[GA]-3'half of the ER stress response element (ERSE) (5'-CCAAT-N(9)-CCAC[GA]-3') and of ERSE II (5'-ATTGG-N-CCACG-3'). Binding to ERSE requires binding of NF-Y to ERSE. Could also be involved in activation of transcription by the serum response factor.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the bZIP family. ATF subfamily.
Contains 1 bZIP domain.
DomainThe basic domain functions as a nuclear localization signal.
The basic leucine-zipper domain is sufficient for association with the NF-Y trimer and binding to ERSE.
modificationsDuring unfolded protein response an approximative 50 kDa fragment containing the cytoplasmic transcription factor domain is released by proteolysis. The cleavage seems to be performed sequentially by site-1 and site-2 proteases.
N-glycosylated. The glycosylation status may serve as a sensor for ER homeostasis, resulting in ATF6 activation to trigger the unfolded protein response (UPR).
Phosphorylated in vitro by MAPK14/P38MAPK.
Cellular localizationEndoplasmic reticulum membrane and Nucleus. Under ER stress the cleaved N-terminal cytoplasmic domain translocates into the nucleus.
- Information by UniProt
KO cell lysates
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab261800 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use at an assay dependent concentration. Predicted molecular weight: 74 kDa.|
All lanes : Anti-ATF6 antibody (ab83504) at 1 µg/ml
Lane 1 : Wild-type HeLa cell lysate
Lane 2 : ATF6 knockout HeLa cell lysate
Lane 3 : Wild-type HAP1 cell lysate
Lane 4 : ATF6 knockout HAP1 cell lysate
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) at 1/20000 dilution
Predicted band size: 74 kDa
Observed band size: 95 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
ab83504 Anti-ATF6 antibody was shown to specifically react with ATF6 in wild-type HeLa cells. Loss of signal was observed when knockout cell line ab261800 (knockout cell lysate ab256841) was used. Wild-type and ATF6 knockout samples were subjected to SDS-PAGE. ab83504 and Anti-GAPDH antibody [6C5] - Loading Control (ab8245) were incubated overnight at 4°C at 1 µg/ml and 1 in 20000 dilution respectively. Blots were developed with Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) and Goat anti-Mouse IgG H&L (IRDye® 680RD) preadsorbed (ab216776) secondary antibodies at 1 in 20000 dilution for 1 hour at room temperature before imaging.
Allele-1: 25 bp deletion in exon 6.
Allele-2: 17 bp deletion in exon 6.
Allele-3: 4 bp deletion in exon 6.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab261800 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.