Product nameHuman CDK8 knockout HeLa cell line
Parental Cell LineHeLa
Mutation descriptionKnockout achieved by using CRISPR/Cas9, 1 bp insertion in exon 1 and 22 bp deletion in exon 1
Knockout validationSanger Sequencing, Western Blot (WB)
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WBmore details
Recommended control: Human wild-type HeLa cell line (ab255928). Please note a wild-type cell line is not automatically included with a knockout cell line order, if required please add recommended wild-type cell line at no additional cost using the code WILDTYPE-TMTK1.
Cryopreservation cell medium: Cell Freezing Medium-DMSO Serum free media, contains 8.7% DMSO in MEM supplemented with methyl cellulose.
Culture medium: DMEM (High Glucose) + 10% FBS
Initial handling guidelines: Upon arrival, the vial should be stored in liquid nitrogen vapor phase and not at -80ºC. Storage at -80ºC may result in loss of viability.
1. Thaw the vial in 37ºC water bath approximately 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer the cell suspension (0.8 ml) to a 15 ml/50 ml conical sterile polypropylene centrifuge tube containing 8.4 ml pre-warmed culture medium, wash vial with an additional 0.8 ml culture medium (total volume 10 ml) to collect remaining cells, and centrifuge at 201 x g (rcf) for 5 minutes at room temperature. 10 ml represents minimum recommended dilution. 20 ml represents maximum recommended dilution.
3. Resuspend the cell pellet in 5 ml pre-warmed culture medium and count using a haemocytometer (Click here to view haemocytometer protocol) or alternative cell counting method. Based on cell count, seed cells in an appropriate cell culture flask at a density of 2x104 cells/cm2. This should allow for confluency within 48 hours. Seeding density is given as a guide only and should be scaled to align with individual lab schedules.
4. Incubate the culture at 37ºC incubator with 5% CO2. Cultures should be monitored daily.
- All seeding densities should be based on cell counts gained by established methods.
- A guide seeding density of 2x104 cells/cm2 is recommended for confluency (80-90% confluence) within 48 hours.
- A partial media change 24 hours prior to subculture may be helpful to encourage growth, if required.
- Cells should be passaged when they have achieved 80-90% confluence.
This product is subject to limited use licenses from The Broad Institute, ERS Genomics Limited and Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC, and is developed with patented technology. For full details of the licenses and patents please refer to our limited use license and patent pages.
Number of cells1 x 106 cells/vial, 1 mL
STR AnalysisAmelogenin X D5S818: 11, 12 D13S317: 12, 13.3 D7S820: 8, 12 D16S539: 9, 10 vWA: 16, 18 TH01: 7 TPOX: 8,12 CSF1PO: 9, 10
Storage instructionsShipped on Dry Ice. Store in liquid nitrogen.
Storage bufferConstituents: 8.7% DMSO, 2% Cellulose, methyl ether
FunctionComponent of the Mediator complex, a coactivator involved in regulated gene transcription of nearly all RNA polymerase II-dependent genes. Mediator functions as a bridge to convey information from gene-specific regulatory proteins to the basal RNA polymerase II transcription machinery. Mediator is recruited to promoters by direct interactions with regulatory proteins and serves as a scaffold for the assembly of a functional preinitiation complex with RNA polymerase II and the general transcription factors. Phosphorylates the CTD (C-terminal domain) of the large subunit of RNA polymerase II (RNAp II), which may inhibit the formation of a transcription initiation complex. Phosphorylates CCNH leading to down-regulation of the TFIIH complex and transcriptional repression. Recruited through interaction with MAML1 to hyperphosphorylate the intracellular domain of NOTCH, leading to its degradation.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the protein kinase superfamily. CMGC Ser/Thr protein kinase family. CDC2/CDKX subfamily.
Contains 1 protein kinase domain.
- Information by UniProt
KO cell lysates
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab265087 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use at an assay dependent concentration. Predicted molecular weight: 53 kDa.|
All lanes : Anti-Cdk8 antibody [EPR21005] (ab229192) at 1/1000 dilution
Lane 1 : Wild-type HeLa cell lysate
Lane 2 : CDK8 knockout HeLa cell lysate
Lane 3 : HAP1 cell lysate
Lane 4 : Daudi cell lysates
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) at 1/20000 dilution
Predicted band size: 53 kDa
Observed band size: 53 kDa
ab229192 Anti-Cdk8 antibody [EPR21005] was shown to specifically react with Cdk8 in wild-type HeLa cells. Loss of signal was observed when knockout cell line ab265087 (knockout cell lysate ab257885) was used. Wild-type and Cdk8 knockout samples were subjected to SDS-PAGE. ab229192 and Anti-GAPDH antibody [6C5] - Loading Control (ab8245) were incubated overnight at 4°C at 1 in 1000 dilution and 1 in 20000 dilution respectively. Blots were developed with Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216773) and Goat anti-Mouse IgG H&L (IRDye® 680RD) preadsorbed (ab216776) secondary antibodies at 1 in 20000 dilution for 1 hour at room temperature before imaging.
Allele-1: 22 bp deletion in exon 1.
Allele-2: 1 bp insertion in exon 1.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab265087 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.