Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 68 pg/ml
- Range: 0.156 ng/ml - 10 ng/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cerebral Spinal Fluid, Milk, Plasma, Saliva, Serum
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman Complement C5 ELISA Kit
See all C5 kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 5.4% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 9.8%
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Saliva, Milk, Serum, Plasma, Cerebral Spinal Fluid
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Range0.156 ng/ml - 10 ng/ml
Assay time4h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Human Complement C5 ELISA kit (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) is designed for the quantitative measurement of C5 in human plasma, serum, saliva, milk, CSF and cell culture supernatants.
A Complement C5 specific antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates and blocked. Standards or test samples are added to the wells and subsequently a Complement C5 specific biotinylated detection antibody is added and then followed by washing with wash buffer. Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate is added and unbound conjugates are washed away with wash buffer. TMB is then used to visualize Streptavidin-Peroxidase enzymatic reaction. TMB is catalyzed by Streptavidin-Peroxidase to produce a blue color product that changes into yellow after adding acidic stop solution. The density of yellow coloration is directly proportional to the amount of Complement C5 captured in plate.
The entire kit may be stored at -20°C for long term storage before reconstitution - Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 100X Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate 1 x 80µl 10X Diluent N Concentrate 1 x 30ml 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 2 x 30ml 50X Biotinylated Human Complement C5 Antibody 1 x 120µl Chromogen Substrate 1 x 7ml Complement C5 Microplate (12 x 8 well strips) 1 unit Complement C5 Standard 1 vial Sealing Tapes 3 units Stop Solution 1 x 11ml
FunctionActivation of C5 by a C5 convertase initiates the spontaneous assembly of the late complement components, C5-C9, into the membrane attack complex. C5b has a transient binding site for C6. The C5b-C6 complex is the foundation upon which the lytic complex is assembled.
Derived from proteolytic degradation of complement C5, C5 anaphylatoxin is a mediator of local inflammatory process. It induces the contraction of smooth muscle, increases vascular permeability and causes histamine release from mast cells and basophilic leukocytes. C5a also stimulates the locomotion of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (chemokinesis) and direct their migration toward sites of inflammation (chemotaxis).
Involvement in diseaseDefects in C5 are the cause of complement component 5 deficiency (C5D) [MIM:609536]. A rare defect of the complement classical pathway associated with susceptibility to severe recurrent infections, predominantly by Neisseria gonorrhoeae or Neisseria meningitidis.
Note=An association study of C5 haplotypes and genotypes in individuals with chronic hepatitis C virus infection shows that individuals homozygous for the C5_1 haplotype have a significantly higher stage of liver fibrosis than individuals carrying at least 1 other allele (PubMed:15995705).
Sequence similaritiesContains 1 anaphylatoxin-like domain.
Contains 1 NTR domain.
- Information by UniProt
- Anaphylatoxin C5a analog
- C3 and PZP-like alpha-2-macroglobulin domain-containing protein 4
ab125963 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Latuszek A et al. Inhibition of complement pathway activation with Pozelimab, a fully human antibody to complement component C5. PLoS One 15:e0231892 (2020). PubMed: 32384086
- Meng X et al. DNA damage repair alterations modulate M2 polarization of microglia to remodel the tumor microenvironment via the p53-mediated MDK expression in glioma. EBioMedicine 41:185-199 (2019). PubMed: 30773478
- Kusner LL et al. Investigational RNAi Therapeutic Targeting C5 Is Efficacious in Pre-clinical Models of Myasthenia Gravis. Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev 13:484-492 (2019). PubMed: 31193726
- Csosz É et al. Salivary proteome profiling of oral squamous cell carcinoma in a Hungarian population. FEBS Open Bio 8:556-569 (2018). PubMed: 29632809
- Guerra AD et al. Minocycline modulates NF?B phosphorylation and enhances antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus aureus in mesenchymal stromal/stem cells. Stem Cell Res Ther 8:171 (2017). ELISA ; Human . PubMed: 28732530
- Owsley C et al. Associations between abnormal rod-mediated dark adaptation and health and functioning in older adults with normal macular health. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 55:4776-89 (2014). ELISA ; Human . PubMed: 24854857