Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 0.56 ng/ml
- Range: 0.781 ng/ml - 50 ng/ml
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Cerebral Spinal Fluid, Milk, Plasma, Serum, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman Ferritin (FTL) ELISA Kit
See all Ferritin Light Chain kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 5.7% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 9.4%
Sample typeMilk, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Cerebral Spinal Fluid
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Sensitivity= 0.56 ng/ml
Range0.781 ng/ml - 50 ng/ml
Assay time4h 0m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Predicted to work with: Monkey
Abcam’s Ferritin (FTL) Human in vitro ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is designed for the quantitative measurement of Ferritin concentrations in plasma, serum, milk, cerebrospinal fluid and cell culture supernatants.
A Ferritin specific antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates and blocked. Standards or test samples are added to the wells and subsequently a Ferritin specific biotinylated detection antibody is added and then followed by washing with wash buffer. Streptavidin-Peroxidase Complex is added and unbound conjugates are washed away with wash buffer. TMB is then used to visualize Streptavidin-Peroxidase enzymatic reaction. TMB is catalyzed by Streptavidin-Peroxidase to produce a blue color product that changes into yellow after adding acidic stop solution. The density of yellow coloration is directly proportional to the amount of Ferritin captured in plate.
Get results in 90 minutes with Human Ferritin ELISA Kit (FLT) (ab200018) from our SimpleStep ELISA® range.
The entire kit may be stored at -20°C for long term storage before reconstitution - Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 100X Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate 1 x 80µl 10X Diluent M Concentrate 1 x 20ml 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 2 x 30ml 50X Biotinylated Human Ferritin Antibody 1 x 120µl Chromogen Substrate 1 x 7ml Ferritin Microplate (12 x 8 well strips) 1 unit Ferritin Standard 1 vial Sealing Tapes 3 units Stop Solution 1 x 11ml
FunctionStores iron in a soluble, non-toxic, readily available form. Important for iron homeostasis. Iron is taken up in the ferrous form and deposited as ferric hydroxides after oxidation. Also plays a role in delivery of iron to cells. Mediates iron uptake in capsule cells of the developing kidney.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in FTL are the cause of hereditary hyperferritinemia-cataract syndrome (HHCS) [MIM:600886]. It is an autosomal dominant disease characterized by early-onset bilateral cataract. Affected patients have elevated level of circulating ferritin. HHCS is caused by mutations in the iron responsive element (IRE) of the FTL gene.
Defects in FTL are the cause of neurodegeneration with brain iron accumulation type 3 (NBIA3) [MIM:606159]; also known as adult-onset basal ganglia disease. It is a movement disorder with heterogeneous presentations starting in the fourth to sixth decade. It is characterized by a variety of neurological signs including parkinsonism, ataxia, corticospinal signs, mild nonprogressive cognitive deficit and episodic psychosis. It is linked with decreased serum ferritin levels.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the ferritin family.
Contains 1 ferritin-like diiron domain.
- Information by UniProt
- Ferritin L chain
- Ferritin L subunit
- Ferritin light chain
Human Ferritin measured in biological fluids showing quantity (pg) per mL of tested sample. Serum and plasma samples were diluted 10-20 fold. Milk, urine and PBMC supernatant were diluted 1-4 fold.
Human Ferritin standard curve: mean of duplicates (+/- SD)
Representative Standard Curve using ab108837
ab108837 has been referenced in 15 publications.
- Martínez-Soto JM et al. Increased serum ferritin is associated with oxidized low-density lipoprotein in prediabetes patients: A pilot study. Heliyon 7:e06720 (2021). PubMed: 33912708
- Hu Y et al. Clinical Characteristics, Iron Metabolism and Neuroinflammation: New Insight into Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Parkinson's Disease. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 17:2041-2051 (2021). PubMed: 34188474
- Lian TH et al. Tremor-Dominant in Parkinson Disease: The Relevance to Iron Metabolism and Inflammation. Front Neurosci 13:255 (2019). PubMed: 30971879
- Choi EK et al. Ferroportin disease mutations influence manganese accumulation and cytotoxicity. FASEB J 33:2228-2240 (2019). PubMed: 30247984
- Allden SJ et al. The Transferrin Receptor CD71 Delineates Functionally Distinct Airway Macrophage Subsets during Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med N/A:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31051082