Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 4 pg/ml
- Range: 2.74 pg/ml - 2000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Plasma
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman GDNF ELISA Kit (Glial Derived Neurotrophic Factor)
See all GDNF kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 4 pg/ml
Range2.74 pg/ml - 2000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Cell culture supernatant 119.8 85% - 140% Plasma 99.25 86% - 113%
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Abcam’s GDNF (Glial Derived Neurotrophic Factor) Human ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is an in vitro enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for the quantitative measurement of Human GDNF in plasma and cell culture supernatants. (Human GDNF concentration is pretty low in normal plasma, it may not be detected in this assay).
This assay employs an antibody specific for Human GDNF coated on a 96-well plate. Standards and samples are pipetted into the wells and GDNF present in a sample is bound to the wells by the immobilized antibody. The wells are washed and biotinylated anti-Human GDNF antibody is added. After washing away unbound biotinylated antibody, HRP-conjugated streptavidin is pipetted to the wells. The wells are again washed, a TMB substrate solution is added to the wells and color develops in proportion to the amount of GDNF bound. The Stop Solution changes the color from blue to yellow, and the intensity of the color is measured at 450 nm.
We have not been able to detect the endogenous Human GDNF in normal serum with ab100525, only in serum spiked with Human GDNF.
Optimization may be required with urine samples
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 1 x 25ml 400X HRP-Streptavidin Concentrate 1 x 200µl 5X Assay Diluent B 1 x 15ml Assay Diluent A 1 x 30ml Biotinylated anti-Human GDNF 2 vials GDNF Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit Recombinant Human GDNF Standard (lyophilized) 2 vials Stop Solution 1 x 8ml TMB One-Step Substrate Reagent 1 x 12ml
RelevanceGlial cell line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a highly conserved neurotrophic factor that is a distant member of the TGF beta superfamily. The GDNF gene product is processed to a disulphide-linked homodimer, which is a ligand for the RET protooncogene. GDNF protects and repairs dopamine-containing neurons, which degenerate in Parkinson's disease, and motor neurons, which die in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The use of GDNF in the treatment of Parkinson's disease has shown promise in the clinic. Treatment of spinal cord injuries with GDNF has also produced neurological improvement.
- Astrocyte derived trophic factor
ab100525 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Yang Y et al. THE ASSOCIATION OF DECREASED SERUM GDNF LEVEL WITH HYPERGLYCEMIA AND DEPRESSION IN TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS. Endocr Pract 25:951-965 (2019). PubMed: 31170370
- Horibata S et al. ER-positive breast cancer cells are poised for RET-mediated endocrine resistance. PLoS One 13:e0194023 (2018). PubMed: 29608602
- Zhang Y et al. The protein and mRNA expression levels of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in post stroke depression and major depressive disorder. Sci Rep 7:8674 (2017). PubMed: 28819313
- Roh HT & So WY The effects of aerobic exercise training on oxidant-antioxidant balance, neurotrophic factor levels, and blood-brain barrier function in obese and non-obese men. J Sport Health Sci 6:447-453 (2017). PubMed: 30356625
- de Almeida JF et al. Stem cells of the apical papilla regulate trigeminal neurite outgrowth and targeting through a BDNF-dependent mechanism. Tissue Eng Part A 20:3089-100 (2014). PubMed: 24837134