Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 0.07 µg/ml
- Range: 0.078 µg/ml - 20 µg/ml
- Sample type: Plasma, Serum
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Competitive
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman Haptoglobin ELISA Kit
See all Haptoglobin kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 4.9% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 7.2%
Sample typeSerum, Plasma
Sensitivity= 0.07 µg/ml
Range0.078 µg/ml - 20 µg/ml
= 98 %
Assay time2h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Human Haptoglobin in vitro competitive ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is designed for the quantitative measurement of Haptoglobin in plasma and serum.
A Haptoglobin specific antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates and blocked. Standards or test samples are added to the wells and subsequently biotinylated Haptoglobin is added and then followed by washing with wash buffer. Streptavidin-Peroxidase Complex is added and unbound conjugates are washed away with wash buffer. TMB is then used to visualize Streptavidin-Peroxidase enzymatic reaction. TMB is catalyzed by Streptavidin-Peroxidase to produce a blue color product that changes into yellow after adding acidic stop solution. The density of yellow coloration is inversely proportional to the amount of Haptoglobin captured in plate.
The entire kit may be stored at -20°C for long term storage before reconstitution - Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 100X Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate 1 x 80µl 10X Diluent N Concentrate 1 x 30ml 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 1 x 30ml 1X Biotinylated Human Haptoglobin (Lyophilized) 1 vial Chromogen Substrate 1 x 8ml Haptoglobin Microplate (12 x 8 well strips) 1 unit Haptoglobin Standard 1 vial Sealing Tapes 3 units Stop Solution 1 x 12ml
FunctionHaptoglobin combines with free plasma hemoglobin, preventing loss of iron through the kidneys and protecting the kidneys from damage by hemoglobin, while making the hemoglobin accessible to degradative enzymes.
Uncleaved haptoglogin, also known as zonulin, plays a role in intestinal permeability, allowing intercellular tight junction disassembly, and controlling the equilibrium between tolerance and immunity to non-self antigens.
Tissue specificityExpressed by the liver and secreted in plasma.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in HP are the cause of anhaptoglobinemia (AHP) [MIM:614081]. AHP is a condition characterized by the absence of the serum glycoprotein haptoglobin. Serum levels of haptoglobin vary among normal persons: levels are low in the neonatal period and in the elderly, differ by population, and can be influenced by environmental factors, such as infection. Secondary hypohaptoglobinemia can occur as a consequence of hemolysis, during which haptoglobin binds to free hemoglobin.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the peptidase S1 family.
Contains 1 peptidase S1 domain.
Contains 2 Sushi (CCP/SCR) domains.
- Information by UniProt
- binding peptide
- haptoglobin alpha 1S beta
ab108856 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Tran TTT et al. APOE genotype influences the gut microbiome structure and function in humans and mice: relevance for Alzheimer's disease pathophysiology. FASEB J N/A:fj201900071R (2019). PubMed: 30958695
- Lv LL et al. Effect of haptoglobin on the treatment of chronic hepatitis B with interferon. Exp Ther Med 18:1417-1425 (2019). PubMed: 31316628
- Gao J et al. Clinical value of haptoglobin and soluble CD163 testing for the differential diagnosis of tuberculous and malignant pleural effusions. Medicine (Baltimore) 98:e17416 (2019). PubMed: 31626097
- Zhang Y et al. Application of Isobaric Tags for Relative and Absolute Quantification (iTRAQ) Coupled with Two-Dimensional Liquid Chromatography/Tandem Mass Spectrometry in Quantitative Proteomic Analysis for Discovery of Serum Biomarkers for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Med Sci Monit 24:4146-4153 (2018). PubMed: 29909421
- Perek B et al. Late subclinical hemolysis and long-term outcomes after aortic valve replacement with On-X mechanical prostheses - a preliminary single-center report. Kardiochir Torakochirurgia Pol 14:175-179 (2017). PubMed: 29181045
- Akbarin MM et al. Investigation of the Etiology of Anemia in Thromboangiitis Obliterans. Int J Angiol 25:153-8 (2016). PubMed: 27574381
- Chang G et al. Feeding a high-grain diet reduces the percentage of LPS clearance and enhances immune gene expression in goat liver. BMC Vet Res 11:67 (2015). PubMed: 25889631
- Sertório JT et al. Haptoglobin polymorphism affects nitric oxide bioavailability in preeclampsia. J Hum Hypertens 27:349-54 (2013). PubMed: 23223086