Product nameHuman MEF2A knockout HCT116 cell line
See all MEF2A lysates
Parental Cell LineHCT116
Although we aim to provide customers with a homozygous clone, feasibility will be dependent on the biology of the protein. Should only heterozygous edits be achieved, you will be notified of the outcome and be asked to confirm whether the cell line is acceptable. All clones will be accompanied with DNA sequencing data, and the mutation description.
Recommended control: Human wild-type HCT116 cell line (ab288559). Please note a wild-type cell line is not automatically included with a knockout cell line order, if required please add recommended wild-type cell line at no additional cost using the code WILDTYPE-TMTK1.
Cryopreservation cell medium: Cell Freezing Medium-DMSO Serum free media, contains 8.7% DMSO in MEM supplemented with methyl cellulose.
Culture medium: McCoY5a + 10% FBS
Initial handling guidelines: Upon arrival, the vial should be stored in liquid nitrogen vapor phase and not at -80°C. Storage at -80°C may result in loss of viability.
1. Thaw the vial in 37°C water bath for approximately 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer the cell suspension (0.8 mL) to a 15 mL/50 mL conical sterile polypropylene centrifuge tube containing 8.4 mL pre-warmed culture medium, wash vial with an additional 0.8 mL culture medium (total volume 10 mL) to collect remaining cells, and centrifuge at 201 x g (rcf) for 5 minutes at room temperature. 10 mL represents minimum recommended dilution. 20 mL represents maximum recommended dilution.
3. Resuspend the cell pellet in 5 mL pre-warmed culture medium and count using a haemocytometer or alternative cell counting method. Based on cell count, seed cells in an appropriate cell culture flask at a density of 2x104 cells/cm2. Seeding density is given as a guide only and should be scaled to align with individual lab schedules.
4. Incubate the culture at 37°C incubator with 5% CO2. Cultures should be monitored daily.
• All seeding densities should be based on cell counts gained by established methods.
• A guide seeding density of 2x104 cells/cm2 is recommended.
• A partial media change 24 hours prior to subculture may be helpful to encourage growth, if required.
• Cells should be passaged when they have achieved 80-90% confluence.
This product is subject to limited use licenses from The Broad Institute and ERS Genomics Limited, and is developed with patented technology. For full details of the limited use licenses and relevant patents please refer to our limited use license and patent pages.
Number of cells1000000 cells/vial, 1 mL
Storage instructionsShipped on Dry Ice. Store in liquid nitrogen.
Storage bufferConstituents: 8.7% Dimethylsulfoxide, 2% Cellulose, methyl ether
FunctionTranscriptional activator which binds specifically to the MEF2 element, 5'-YTA[AT](4)TAR-3', found in numerous muscle-specific genes. Also involved in the activation of numerous growth factor- and stress-induced genes. Mediates cellular functions not only in skeletal and cardiac muscle development, but also in neuronal differentiation and survival. Plays diverse roles in the control of cell growth, survival and apoptosis via p38 MAPK signaling in muscle-specific and/or growth factor-related transcription. In cerebellar granule neurons, phosphorylated and sumoylated MEF2A represses transcription of NUR77 promoting synaptic differentiation.
Tissue specificityIsoform MEF2 and isoform MEFA are expressed only in skeletal and cardiac muscle and in the brain. Isoform RSRFC4 and isoform RSRFC9 are expressed in all tissues examined.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in MEF2A might be a cause of autosomal dominant coronary artery disease 1 with myocardial infarction (ADCAD1) [MIM:608320].
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the MEF2 family.
Contains 1 MADS-box domain.
Contains 1 Mef2-type DNA-binding domain.
modificationsConstitutive phosphorylation on Ser-408 promotes Lys-403 sumoylation thus preventing acetylation at this site. Dephosphorylation on Ser-408 by PPP3CA upon neuron depolarization promotes a switch from sumoylation to acetylation on residue Lys-403 leading to inhibition of dendrite claw differentiation. Phosphorylation on Thr-312 and Thr-319 are the main sites involved in p38 MAPK signaling and activate transcription. Phosphorylated on these sites by MAPK14/p38alpha and MAPK11/p38beta, but not by MAPK13/p38delta nor by MAPK12/p38gamma. Phosphorylation on Ser-408 by CDK5 induced by neurotoxicity inhibits MEF2A transcriptional activation leading to apoptosis of cortical neurons. Phosphorylation on Thr-312, Thr-319 and Ser-355 can be induced by EGF.
Sumoylation on Lys-403 is enhanced by PIAS1 and represses transcriptional activity. Phosphorylation on Ser-408 is required for sumoylation. Has no effect on nuclear location nor on DNA binding. Sumoylated by SUMO1 and, to a lesser extent by SUMO2 and SUMO3. PIASx facilitates sumoylation in postsynaptic dendrites in the cerebellar cortex and promotes their morphogenesis.
Acetylation on Lys-403 activates transcriptional activity. Acetylated by p300 on several sites in diffentiating myocytes. Acetylation on Lys-4 increases DNA binding and transactivation (By similarity). Hyperacetylation by p300 leads to enhanced cardiac myocyte growth and heart failure.
Proteolytically cleaved in cerebellar granule neurons on several sites by caspase 3 and caspase 7 following neurotoxicity. Preferentially cleaves the CDK5-mediated hyperphosphorylated form which leads to neuron apoptosis and transcriptional inactivation.
- Information by UniProt
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab289156 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.