Product nameHuman NEFM (160 kD Neurofilament Medium) knockout HEK293T cell line
Parental Cell LineHEK293T
Mutation descriptionKnockout achieved by using CRISPR/Cas9, 1 bp insertion in exon 2 and Insertion of the selection cassette in exon 2
Knockout validationSanger Sequencing, Western Blot (WB)
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WBmore details
Recommended control: Human wild-type HEK293T cell line (ab255449). Please note a wild-type cell line is not automatically included with a knockout cell line order, if required please add recommended wild-type cell line at no additional cost using the code WILDTYPE-TMTK1.
Cryopreservation cell medium: Cell Freezing Medium-DMSO Serum free media, contains 8.7% DMSO in MEM supplemented with methyl cellulose.
Culture medium: DMEM (High Glucose) + 10% FBS
Initial handling guidelines: Upon arrival, the vial should be stored in liquid nitrogen vapor phase and not at -80ºC. Storage at -80ºC may result in loss of viability.
1. Thaw the vial in 37ºC water bath approximately 1-2 minutes.
2. Transfer the cell suspension (0.8 ml) to a 15 ml/50 ml conical sterile polypropylene centrifuge tube containing 8.4 ml pre-warmed culture medium, wash vial with an additional 0.8 ml culture medium (total volume 10 ml) to collect remaining cells, and centrifuge at 201 x g (rcf) for 5 minutes at room temperature. 10 ml represents minimum recommended dilution. 20 ml represents maximum recommended dilution.
3. Resuspend the cell pellet in 5 ml pre-warmed culture medium and count using a haemocytometer (Click here to view haemocytometer protocol) or alternative cell counting method. Based on cell count, seed cells in an appropriate cell culture flask at a density of 2x104 cells/cm2. This should allow for confluency within 48 hours. Seeding density is given as a guide only and should be scaled to align with individual lab schedules.
4. Incubate the culture at 37ºC incubator with 5% CO2. Cultures should be monitored daily.
- All seeding densities should be based on cell counts gained by established methods.
- A guide seeding density of 2x104 cells/cm2 is recommended for confluency (80-90% confluence) within 48 hours.
- A partial media change 24 hours prior to subculture may be helpful to encourage growth, if required.
- Cells should be passaged when they have achieved 80-90% confluence.
This product is subject to limited use licenses from The Broad Institute, ERS Genomics Limited and Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC, and is developed with patented technology. For full details of the licenses and patents please refer to our limited use license and patent pages.
Number of cells1 x 106 cells/vial, 1 mL
STR AnalysisAmelogenin X D5S818: 8, 9 D13S317: 12, 14 D7S820: 11 D16S539: 9, 13 vWA: 16, 19 TH01: 7, 9.3 TPOX: 11 CSF1PO: 11, 12
Storage instructionsShipped on Dry Ice. Store in liquid nitrogen.
Storage bufferConstituents: 8.7% DMSO, 2% Cellulose, methyl ether
RelevanceNeurofilaments are the 10nm or intermediate filament proteins found specifically in neurons, and are composed predominantly of three major proteins called neurofilament light (NF-L), neurofilament medium (NF-M) and neurofilament heavy (NF-H). Neurofilament medium runs on SDS-PAGE gels in the range 145-170 kDa, with some variation in different species. Antibodies to this protein are useful to identify neurons and their processes in tissue sections and in tissue culture. Neurofilament medium can also be useful in studies of neurofilament accumulations seen in many neurological diseases, such as Lou Gehrig's disease or Alzheimer's disease.
KO cell lysates
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab266741 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use at an assay dependent concentration. Predicted molecular weight: 102 kDa.|
All lanes : Anti-160 kD Neurofilament Medium antibody [NF-09] - Neuronal Marker (ab7794) at 1/1000 dilution
Lane 1 : Wild-type HEK-293T (Human epithelial cell line from embryonic kidney transformed with large T antigen) whole cell lysate
Lane 2 : NEFM knockout HEK-293T (Human epithelial cell line from embryonic kidney transformed with large T antigen) whole cell lysate
Lane 3 : A549 (Human lung carcinoma cell line) whole cell lysate
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Goat Anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 680RD) preadsorbed (ab216777) at 1/10000 dilution
Predicted band size: 102 kDa
Observed band size: 150 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
ab7794 Anti-160 kD Neurofilament Medium antibody [NF-09] was shown to specifically react with 160 kD Neurofilament Medium in wild-type HEK-293T cells. Loss of signal was observed when knockout cell line ab266741 (knockout cell lysate ab257103) was used. Wild-type and 160 kD Neurofilament Medium knockout samples were subjected to SDS-PAGE. ab7794 and Anti-GAPDH antibody[EPR16891] - Loading Control (ab181602) were incubated overnight at 4°C at 1 in 1000 dilution and 1 in 20000 dilution respectively. Blots were developed with Goat anti-Rabbit IgG H&L (IRDye® 680RD) preadsorbed (ab216777) and Goat anti-Mouse IgG H&L (IRDye® 800CW) preadsorbed (ab216772) secondary antibodies at 1 in 20000 dilution for 1 hour at room temperature before imaging.
Allele-1: 1 bp insertion in exon 2
Allele-2: Insertion of the selection cassette in exon 2.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab266741 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.