Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 7.4 ng/ml
- Range: 6.25 ng/ml - 400 ng/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cerebral Spinal Fluid, Milk, Plasma, Saliva, Serum, Urine
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman Retinol binding protein 4 ELISA Kit (RBP4)
See all RBP4 kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 5.2% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Overall 10%
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Saliva, Milk, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Cerebral Spinal Fluid
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Sensitivity= 7.4 ng/ml
Range6.25 ng/ml - 400 ng/ml
Assay time4h 00m
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Abcam’s Retinol binding protein 4 (RBP4) Human in vitro ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is designed for the quantitative measurement of Retinol binding protein 4 concentrations in plasma, serum, saliva, urine, milk, cerebrospinal fluid and cell culture supernatants.
A Retinol binding protein 4 specific antibody has been precoated onto 96-well plates and blocked. Standards or test samples are added to the wells and subsequently a Retinol binding protein 4specific biotinylated detection antibody is added and then followed by washing with wash buffer. Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate is added and unbound conjugates are washed away with wash buffer. TMB is then used to visualize Streptavidin-Peroxidase enzymatic reaction. TMB is catalyzed by Streptavidin-Peroxidase to produce a blue color product that changes into yellow after adding acidic stop solution. The density of yellow coloration is directly proportional to the amount of Retinol binding protein 4 captured in plate.
Get higher sensitivity in only 90 minutes with Human Retinol Binding Protein 4 ELISA Kit (ab196264) from our SimpleStep ELISA® range.
The entire kit may be stored at -20°C for long term storage before reconstitution - Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 100X Streptavidin-Peroxidase Conjugate 1 x 80µl 10X Diluent N Concentrate 1 x 30ml 20X Wash Buffer Concentrate 2 x 30ml 40X Biotinylated Human Retinol binding Protein 4 Antibody 1 x 150µl Chromogen Substrate 1 x 7ml Retinol binding Protein 4 Microplate (12 x 8 well strips) 1 unit Retinol binding Protein 4 Standard 1 vial Sealing Tapes 3 units Stop Solution 1 x 11ml
FunctionDelivers retinol from the liver stores to the peripheral tissues. In plasma, the RBP-retinol complex interacts with transthyretin, this prevents its loss by filtration through the kidney glomeruli.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in RBP4 are a cause of retinol-binding protein deficiency (RBP deficiency) [MIM:180250]. This condition causes night vision problems. It produces a typical 'fundus xerophthalmicus', featuring a progressed atrophy of the retinal pigment epithelium.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the calycin superfamily. Lipocalin family.
- Information by UniProt
ab108897 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Torabi R & Ghourchian H Ultrasensitive nano-aptasensor for monitoring retinol binding protein 4 as a biomarker for diabetes prognosis at early stages. Sci Rep 10:594 (2020). PubMed: 31953481
- Tayebi SM et al. Plasma retinol-binding protein-4 and tumor necrosis factor-a are reduced in postmenopausal women after combination of different intensities of circuit resistance training and Zataria supplementation. Sport Sci Health 15:551-558 (2019). PubMed: 31885723
- Al-Attar A et al. Data correlations between gender, cytomegalovirus infection and T cells, NK cells, and soluble immune mediators in elderly humans. Data Brief 8:536-44 (2016). PubMed: 27508213
- Gonzalez-Calero L et al. Urinary Kininogen-1 and Retinol binding protein-4 respond to Acute Kidney Injury: predictors of patient prognosis? Sci Rep 6:19667 (2016). PubMed: 26792617
- Pirazzi C et al. PNPLA3 has retinyl-palmitate lipase activity in human hepatic stellate cells. Hum Mol Genet N/A:N/A (2014). PubMed: 24670599