Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 30 pg/ml
- Range: 24.58 pg/ml - 6000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Plasma, Serum
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman TNF alpha ELISA Kit
See all TNF alpha kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Serum, Plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 30 pg/ml
Range24.58 pg/ml - 6000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Cell culture supernatant 96.43 84% - 104% Serum 94.53 82% - 103% Plasma 91.92 80% - 102%
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Abcam’s TNF alpha Human ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is an in vitro enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the quantitative measurement of Human TNF alpha in serum, plasma and cell culture supernatants. (Human TNF alpha concentration is pretty low in normal serum/plasma, it may not be detected in this assay).
This assay employs an antibody specific for Human TNF alpha coated on a 96-well plate. Standards and samples are pipetted into the wells and TNF alpha present in a sample is bound to the wells by the immobilized antibody. The wells are washed and biotinylated anti-Human TNF alpha antibody is added. After washing away unbound biotinylated antibody, HRP conjugated streptavidin is pipetted to the wells. The wells are again washed, a TMB substrate solution is added to the wells and color develops in proportion to the amount of TNF alpha bound. The Stop Solution changes the color from blue to yellow, and the intensity of the color is measured at 450 nm.
Get higher sensitivity in only 90 minutes with Human TNF alpha ELISA Kit (ab181421) from our SimpleStep ELISA® range.
Optimization may be required with urine samples.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer 1 x 25ml 5X Assay Diluent B 1 x 15ml 600X HRP-Streptavidin Concentrate 1 x 200µl Assay Diluent A 1 x 30ml Biotinylated anti-Human TNF alpha 2 vials Recombinant Human TNF alpha Standard (lyophilized) 2 vials Stop Solution 1 x 8ml TMB One-Step Substrate Reagent 1 x 12ml TNF alpha Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit
FunctionCytokine that binds to TNFRSF1A/TNFR1 and TNFRSF1B/TNFBR. It is mainly secreted by macrophages and can induce cell death of certain tumor cell lines. It is potent pyrogen causing fever by direct action or by stimulation of interleukin-1 secretion and is implicated in the induction of cachexia, Under certain conditions it can stimulate cell proliferation and induce cell differentiation.
Involvement in diseaseGenetic variations in TNF are a cause of susceptibility psoriatic arthritis (PSORAS) [MIM:607507]. PSORAS is an inflammatory, seronegative arthritis associated with psoriasis. It is a heterogeneous disorder ranging from a mild, non-destructive disease to a severe, progressive, erosive arthropathy. Five types of psoriatic arthritis have been defined: asymmetrical oligoarthritis characterized by primary involvement of the small joints of the fingers or toes; asymmetrical arthritis which involves the joints of the extremities; symmetrical polyarthritis characterized by a rheumatoidlike pattern that can involve hands, wrists, ankles, and feet; arthritis mutilans, which is a rare but deforming and destructive condition; arthritis of the sacroiliac joints and spine (psoriatic spondylitis).
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the tumor necrosis factor family.
modificationsThe soluble form derives from the membrane form by proteolytic processing.
The membrane form, but not the soluble form, is phosphorylated on serine residues. Dephosphorylation of the membrane form occurs by binding to soluble TNFRSF1A/TNFR1.
O-glycosylated; glycans contain galactose, N-acetylgalactosamine and N-acetylneuraminic acid.
Cellular localizationSecreted and Cell membrane.
- Information by UniProt
- APC1 protein
SimpleStep ELISA kits
Standard curve of huIL-8 with background signal subtracted (duplicates; +/- SD).
huTNFa measured in biological fluids, background signal subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
TNFa detected in supernatants from control cells (C) or cells stimulated for 24 hours with 50 ng x mL-1 of PMA (ab120297) (P), and PMA with the addition of 1 ug x mL-1 of LPS (Sigma) (P+L) for the last 6 hours. PBMCs were stimulated for 48 hours with 2 % PHA-M (LifeTechnologies). Results shown after background signal was subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
Representative standard curve using ab100654
Representative standard curve using ab100654
ab100654 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Wang J et al. Effect of a three-piece inflatable penile prosthesis combined with a phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor on erectile dysfunction. J Int Med Res 49:300060520985365 (2021). PubMed: 33845640
- Jain S et al. Saliva panel of protein candidates: A comprehensive study for assessing high altitude acclimatization. Nitric Oxide 95:1-11 (2020). PubMed: 31778801
- Martínez-Arnau FM et al. Effects of Leucine Administration in Sarcopenia: A Randomized and Placebo-controlled Clinical Trial. Nutrients 12:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32230954
- Hu B et al. Nuclear factor E2 related factor (NRF2) inhibits mast cell- mediated allergic inflammation via SIRT4-mediated mitochondrial metabolism. Ann Palliat Med 9:3839-3847 (2020). PubMed: 33222465
- Buigues C et al. Interleukin-6 and Lymphocyte Count Associated and Predicted the Progression of Frailty Syndrome in Prostate Cancer Patients Undergoing Antiandrogen Therapy. Cancers (Basel) 12:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32610428
- Okamgba OC et al. Variations in the leukocyte and cytokine profiles between placental and maternal circulation in pregnancy-associated malaria. Res Rep Trop Med 9:1-8 (2018). PubMed: 30050350
- Dada T et al. Mindfulness Meditation Reduces Intraocular Pressure, Lowers Stress Biomarkers and Modulates Gene Expression in Glaucoma: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Glaucoma 27:1061-1067 (2018). PubMed: 30256277
- Buigues C et al. Effect of a Prebiotic Formulation on Frailty Syndrome: A Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial. Int J Mol Sci 17:N/A (2016). PubMed: 27314331
- Hong M et al. Anti-inflammatory and antifatigue effect of Korean Red Ginseng in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Ginseng Res 40:203-10 (2016). PubMed: 27616896
- Escribano-Lopez I et al. The mitochondria-targeted antioxidant MitoQ modulates oxidative stress, inflammation and leukocyte-endothelium interactions in leukocytes isolated from type 2 diabetic patients. Redox Biol 10:200-205 (2016). WB ; Human . PubMed: 27810734