Key features and details
- GluN2B (formerly NR2B)-preferring NMDA antagonist
- CAS Number: 23210-58-4
- Purity: > 99%
- Soluble in water to 15 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameIfenprodil hemitartrate, GluN2B (formerly NR2B)-preferring NMDA antagonist
DescriptionGluN2B (formerly NR2B)-preferring NMDA antagonist
Non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonist acting at the polyamine site. Displays GluN2B (formerly NR2B) subunit selectivity. IC50 values are 0.15 μM at NR1/NR2B and >30 μM for NR1/NR2A, NR1/NR2C and NR1/NR2D receptors.
Also available in simple stock solutions (ab146675) - add 1 ml of water to get an exact, ready-to-use concentration.
Chemical nameerythro-4-(2-(4-Benzylpiperidin-1-yl)-1-hydroxypropyl)phenol hemitartrate
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water to 15 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
2D chemical structure image of ab120111, Ifenprodil hemitartrate, GluN2B (formerly NR2B)-preferring NMDA antagonist
Median ifenprodil sensitivity from a rat postnatal day 2 (P2) and day 12 (P12) neuron; NMDAR-mediated responses in control (black) and in presence of the GluN2B-preferring antagonist ifenprodil (ab120111, grey).
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120111 has been referenced in 11 publications.
- Li Y et al. Chronic Blockade of NMDAR Subunit 2A in the Hypothalamic Paraventricular Nucleus Alleviates Hypertension through Suppression of MEK/ERK/CREB Pathway. Am J Hypertens N/A:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33856436
- Taoro-Gonzalez L et al. Hyperammonemia alters membrane expression of GluA1 and GluA2 subunits of AMPA receptors in hippocampus by enhancing activation of the IL-1 receptor: underlying mechanisms. J Neuroinflammation 15:36 (2018). PubMed: 29422059
- Yu YJ et al. Involvement of protein phosphatases in the destabilization of methamphetamine-associated contextual memory. Learn Mem 23:486-93 (2016). PubMed: 27531839
- Yang Y & Xu-Friedman MA Different pools of glutamate receptors mediate sensitivity to ambient glutamate in the cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 113:3634-45 (2015). PubMed: 25855696
- Tovar KR et al. Triheteromeric NMDA receptors at hippocampal synapses. J Neurosci 33:9150-60 (2013). PubMed: 23699525