Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to IL-6
- Suitable for: WB, IHC-P
- Reacts with: Human
- Isotype: IgG
- Research with confidence – consistent and reproducible results with every batch
- Long-term and scalable supply – powered by recombinant technology for fast production
- Success from the first experiment – confirmed specificity through extensive validation
- Ethical standards compliant – production is animal-free
Product nameAnti-IL-6 antibody
See all IL-6 primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to IL-6
Specificityab6672 detects a band at 25 kDa in human lung tissue lysate and mouse spleen tissue lysate, however the signal in mouse tissue is significantly lower. It also binds strongly to a protein at ~55 kDa in human lung tissue extracts, which we believe represents a glycosylated form of IL6. ab6672 also detects several bands in human lung tissue lysate within the region of 30-40 kDa. These may represent heteromers of IL6. Please be aware that this product has low homology with the mouse and rat sequence of IL6 (Rat, 40%; Mouse 41%, UniProt blast) and we therefore cannot guarantee reactivity in these species.
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WB, IHC-Pmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Predicted to work with: Pig
Recombinant full length protein corresponding to Human IL-6. Produced in E.coli.
Database link: P05231
- Purchase matching WB positive control:Recombinant Human IL-6 protein
- WB: Recombinant Human IL6 protein (ab101044), lysate of 2 x 10<6 endotoxin-stimulated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC)(PBMC are stimulated for 24 hours with 1% (v/v) human serum plus 10 ng/mL E.coli LPS).
IL-6 synonyms: plasmacytoma growth factor (PCT-GF),interferon-a-2 (IFN-a2), monocyte derived human B cellgrowth factor, B cell stimulating factor (BSF-2),hepatocyte stimulating factor (HSF), and interleukinhybridoma/plasmacytoma-1 (IL-HP1).
The Life Science industry has been in the grips of a reproducibility crisis for a number of years. Abcam is leading the way in addressing this with our range of recombinant monoclonal antibodies and knockout edited cell lines for gold-standard validation. Please check that this product meets your needs before purchasing.
If you have any questions, special requirements or concerns, please send us an inquiry and/or contact our Support team ahead of purchase. Recommended alternatives for this product can be found below, along with publications, customer reviews and Q&As
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferConstituents: 0.42% Potassium phosphate, 0.87% Sodium chloride
Concentration information loading...
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab6672 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
1/500 - 1/2000.
1/400 - 1/800.
1/500 - 1/2000.
1/400 - 1/800.
FunctionCytokine with a wide variety of biological functions. It is a potent inducer of the acute phase response. Plays an essential role in the final differentiation of B-cells into Ig-secreting cells Involved in lymphocyte and monocyte differentiation. It induces myeloma and plasmacytoma growth and induces nerve cells differentiation Acts on B-cells, T-cells, hepatocytes, hematopoeitic progenitor cells and cells of the CNS. Also acts as a myokine. It is discharged into the bloodstream after muscle contraction and acts to increase the breakdown of fats and to improve insulin resistance.
Involvement in diseaseGenetic variations in IL6 are associated with susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis systemic juvenile (RASJ) [MIM:604302]. An inflammatory articular disorder with systemic-onset beginning before the age of 16. It represents a subgroup of juvenile arthritis associated with severe extraarticular features and occasionally fatal complications. During active phases of the disorder, patients display a typical daily spiking fever, an evanescent macular rash, lymphadenopathy, hepatosplenomegaly, serositis, myalgia and arthritis.
Note=A IL6 promoter polymorphism is associated with a lifetime risk of development of Kaposi sarcoma in HIV-infected men.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the IL-6 superfamily.
modificationsN- and O-glycosylated.
- Information by UniProt
- Interleukin BSF 2 antibody
- B cell differentiation factor antibody
- B cell stimulatory factor 2 antibody
IHC image of IL6 staining in human lung formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue section*, performed on a Leica Bond™ system using the standard protocol F. The section was pre-treated using heat mediated antigen retrieval with sodium citrate buffer (pH6, epitope retrieval solution 1) for 20 mins. The section was then incubated with ab6672, 1/400, for 15 mins at room temperature and detected using an HRP conjugated compact polymer system. DAB was used as the chromogen. The section was then counterstained with haematoxylin and mounted with DPX.
For other IHC staining systems (automated and non-automated) customers should optimize variable parameters such as antigen retrieval conditions, primary antibody concentration and antibody incubation times.
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre
All lanes : Anti-IL-6 antibody (ab6672) at 1/500 dilution
Lane 1 : Human spleen tissue lysate
Lane 2 : Human lung tissue lysate
Lane 3 : Mouse spleen tissue lysate
Lane 4 : Mouse lung tissue lysate
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
Performed under reducing conditions.
Additional bands at: 25 kDa, 55 kDa (possible glycosylated form). We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
Tissue lysates were denatured for 10-15 minutes at 90ºC. ab6672 was incubated overnight at 4ºC and the secondary antibody for 1 hour at RT.
ab6672 detects a band at 25 kDa in Human lung tissue lysate and Mouse spleen tissue lysate, however the signal in mouse tissue is significantly lower. It also binds strongly to a protein at ~55 kDa in Human lung tissue extracts, which we believe represents a glycosylated form of IL6. ab6672 also detects several bands in Human lung tissue lysate within the region of 30-40 kDa. These may represent heteromers of IL6.
IL6 (Red) and IL-12 (Green) were measured at 1, 3, and 7 days after 10 Gy irradiation of HCa-1 tumors to determine whether irradiation regulates IL-12 and IL6 expression in tumours. ab6672 was used to stain IL6 at 1/100 dilution in immunohistochemical analysis.
Anti-IL-6 antibody (ab6672) at 1/500 dilution + recombinant human IL-6
conjugated anti-Rabbit IgG at 1/40000 dilution
Developed using the ECL technique.
Observed band size: 21 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
4-20% Tris-Glycine gel.
The membrane was blocked for 30 minutes with 1% BSA-TBST.
ab6672 has been referenced in 502 publications.
- Wang Q et al. Association of miRNA-145 with the occurrence and prognosis of hydrosalpinx-induced defective endometrial receptivity. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 21:81-92 (2021). PubMed: 32343942
- Bin S et al. Targeting miR-10a-5p/IL-6R axis for reducing IL-6-induced cartilage cell ferroptosis. Exp Mol Pathol 118:104570 (2021). PubMed: 33166496
- Lu X et al. miR-335-5P contributes to human osteoarthritis by targeting HBP1. Exp Ther Med 21:109 (2021). PubMed: 33335572
- Leibinger M et al. Transneuronal delivery of hyper-interleukin-6 enables functional recovery after severe spinal cord injury in mice. Nat Commun 12:391 (2021). PubMed: 33452250
- Xu J et al. Network Pharmacology and Experimental Evidence Identify the Mechanism of Astragaloside IV in Oxaliplatin Neurotoxicity. Drug Des Devel Ther 15:99-110 (2021). PubMed: 33469263